18. Start Bending Me, it's Never Enough

Author's Note: I'm sorry for my repeated torture of the precious angel, Scott Hoying. That is all.

18. Start Bending Me, it's Never Enough

Mitch was on autopilot for the remainder of the weekend. Poor Chet was confused, wondering why Scott had disappeared from his birthday party, and why the rest of them left like they were attending a funeral.

Mitch knew that he should care more about Chet's feelings on the matter, but he couldn't find the emotional energy.

He hadn't reached out to Scott. He had been warned by everyone not to. Scott hadn't spoken to any of them. He and Rozzi were like ships in the night, with Scott leaving their apartment early and coming home late in order to avoid having to see her. And when he did, he averted his gaze, ignoring her small pleas to sit down and talk.

The shit had hit the fan three weeks ago, and things were far from looking up.

Three whole weeks, and Scott was avoiding every single one of them.

Mitch's feet carried him into rehearsals on Friday evening, before he could register where he was. He sat in the front row, realizing after the two hours were over that he had no idea what had been discussed.

"Do you guys wanna come over? Watch a movie?" Rozzi asked quietly as the others filtered out of the auditorium. "I can't sit in that empty apartment by myself anymore, but I don't wanna go out."

She looked horrible, Mitch noted with guilt. Like she hadn't slept in three weeks. She probably hadn't.

"Your apartment?" Kirstin asked uneasily as Kevin approached as well.

Rozzi nodded. "Scott's working. He won't be home until like, 2:30 at least."

It was midnight, and they were on their second movie of the evening, sitting quietly, and Mitch realized that he had zoned out completely again.

It was the quietest they had ever been. Chet wasn't there, so his clueless rambling couldn't even save them.

There was a depressed air in the room that was thick, and it was hard to breathe under its weight.

Keys suddenly jingled in the lock, and the group froze, staring at each other in shock.

The door swung open, and they didn't know what to make of what they saw.

A large, handsome man was holding Scott by his waist, with Scott's arm draped over his shoulder. They were dressed identically, in their bartending uniforms. Scott's eyes were closed, and his body was nearly completely limp in the man's arms.

"Come on, buddy," the other man grunted. "Roz, help?"

Rozzi sprang to her feet, and took one of Scott's arms, guiding him to the couch that she had just abandoned. His shirt was nearly completely open and his head rolled back and forth on his neck, unable to support itself.

"What the hell happened?" Kevin asked, crouching in front of him, taking his face between his hands and surveying his eyes.

Mitch was frozen in place.

It was too familiar.

----
Scott was on his bed, staring at the far wall. There was no life behind his eyes. It was haunting, how he looked as though he had passed away with his eyes open.

"Scott?" Mitch asked, walking towards the man, slowly. He could feel his own pulse quicken in his chest, and he hoped that his friend was alright. Had something happened to him?