10. I Know You Think I Need a lot

Author's Note: Ummm so I think this is going to be a trilogy? Because I just finished chapter like... 22 and it ended on a cliffhanger that just opened up a new can of worms... is a trilogy too much? 🧐

10. I Know You Think I Need a lot

Mitch really needed to stop this guy from getting in the way of his sleep.

But he lay in bed that night, thinking of everything that he should have said differently.

He should have never made Scott feel like he had to defend his job. He knew that. He had no right to tell him what he should or should not do. There were plenty of better ways to express his apprehension about the whole thing, without making Scott feel judged.

Mitch hated feeling judged. And he turned around and made Scott feel that way.

Mitch despised that fact.

Mitch continued to be amazed by how quickly Scott recovered from things like this, however, and he found that he was truly enjoying the other man's company.

But his heart panged with guilt when he would find himself looking fondly at the man for a touch too long, or when he found himself longing to reach out and touch him in any way he could.

He continued to wonder if those arms would feel like the ones he was so used to.

Two weeks later, Mitch nearly quit school altogether. He thought about cutting his losses and deleting Scott's number entirely, disappearing completely.

That is, if he didn't die of shock, first.

He was sitting in rehearsals for an invitational that was quickly approaching when it hit him like a ton of bricks that the jig was up.

"I have some excellent news," Chet announced at the front of the room. Kirstin perked up next to Mitch, clearly as curious about this as he was.

"Our savior, our hero, our LEADER has returned to us," Chet laughed. "He has been gone from us for way too long, and I think all of us older members can agree that we simply weren't as good in his absence."

Mitch glanced over to Kirstin, raising an eyebrow.

"Newbies, take note. The person who is about to come in here is a complete beast. Everyone, please join me in welcoming back our very own Kevin Olusola."

"Kirst," Mitch whispered, his eyes wide, as Kevin joined Chet on the stage, waving enthusiastically as the older students ran towards him to embrace him. "Kirst... tell me you don't see that guy."

Kirstin turned to him, raising an eyebrow. "You mean the guy that everyone is cheering for and hugging? Yes, we all see him, Mitch... are you okay? Why are you shaking?"

"No, no, no..." Mitch whispered, his eyes welling with tears. "This isn't happening."

"Mitch...?"

Mitch stood up and ran towards the doors to the auditorium, with Kirstin hot on his heels. He ran into the stairwell before falling to his knees, trying desperately to catch his breath. He was thankful that Kevin's entrance had caused such chaos, that his exit likely wasn't noticed.

"Mitch, what the hell? You have to stop doing this to me," Kirstin panted.

"He was in the hospital with me."

The silence in the stairwell was deafening in the wake of those words.

"He knows everything."

More silence.