13. Can you Help Me? I'm Bent

He should have known that Scott would have a plan for dealing with this. And When Kirstin knocked on his bedroom door literally thirty seconds after he entered his room, he knew that Scott had called her to make sure that she took care of him.

It was annoying.

So why was his heart swelling like an over-inflated balloon?

She entered his room wordlessly, and sat beside him on his bed, pulling him against her.

Then, the floodgates opened.

It was the next morning when she conjured the courage to ask him about it.

"What did Scott say happened? I'm sure his side of the story is more accurate."

"He said that you started to get annoyed with him at the end of dinner. You called him weird. Then you stopped talking to him."

"That's all he said?"

Kirstin nodded.

"So he skipped over the fact that I basically attacked him in the hallway outside of our apartment?"

Kirstin's jaw dropped. It would have been a funny picture, if the reason why hadn't been so horrific.

"I kissed him. And then I got... aggressive... about it. And then I cried. Like an asshole."

"Why... did you get aggressive?"

"My Scott was aggressive. My Scott fought back. My Scott-"

"Mitch, enough."

Her words were dripping with venom, enough to paralyze him.

"Scott Hoying is NOT your Scott. If you can't wrap your head around that fact, you need to let him go. End of story. You're my best friend in the entire world, but I can't watch you hurt this poor guy anymore."

It was the first time that Mitch saw such anger in her eyes. She turned on her heel and walked out, slamming his door behind her.

Mitch knew that Scott wasn't becoming important only to him. He knew that Scott and his friends were quickly sneaking into the heart of his best friend.

And she was absolutely right. He had to stop.

"Hey," Kevin greeted later that afternoon, sitting beside Mitch at the end of rehearsal.

"Hi."

"I noticed that you and Kirstie didn't sit together today. Everything okay?"

"She's mad at me."

"Oh. Dare I ask?"

"Judging by the fact that you're sitting here right now, I'd say you already know. Who told you? Scott?" Mitch wasn't in the mood for this today, and he knew that he would regret his cold demeanor later. Kevin was the last person who deserved Mitch's sass.

"Kirstie did, actually. She said she's sick of how you treat him," Kevin admitted.

"And you aren't? He's your friend."

"And so are you," Kevin reminded him, gently. "Can I ask you something?"

Mitch's pulse picked up as he nodded.

"What are you so afraid of when it comes to him?"

Mitch felt like he dodged a bullet. He was so sure that he would ask about his Scott...