Piano

I pause outside Chris' room. Oh god. I can't do this. I raise my fist. I knock. "Come in." Chris calls.

I twist the doorknob and slowly push the door open. Chris is sat on his bed, reading a comic book. I enter the room and he looks up.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He asks, glaring up at me.

"Y-your dad s-sent me up." I stutter, staring intently at the floor.

"Whatever." Chris mumbles.

I stand there awkwardly, my breathing irrationally heavy.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, you can sit down." Chris says and I raise my eyebrow. He sighs. "Listen kid, I have a reputation to uphold but I'm not an asshole. Only when Ben's around."

"O-okay." I say before looking up. Immediately, i spot the piano in the corner of the room. "Do you play?" I ask.

He looks up. "The piano?" I nod. "Oh, no, it was my mum's." His tone turns sad toward the end.

"Do you miss her?" I ask.

"Sometimes." He shrugs. "I guess it must be harder though, having your mum alive bug in danger."

"I suppose." I shrug. "Neither cases seem all too spectacular though."

"Yeah, but you've got Mr Lester and I've got Pj and Sophie, they're great." He smiles and I feel myself relax slightly. "I'll try to get Ben to stay away from you, for Mr Lester's sake as well as your own."

"Thanks." I smile. I glance back at the piano and then to Chris. "Do you mind?" I ask, sitting at the piano.

"No, go ahead." He says and I turn to face the magnificent instrument. There was one thing I never forgot after the incident and that was how to play the piano. I place my hands carefully over the ivory keys before testing a few out lightly. I smile when I realise the piano is perfectly tuned and I begin to play.

I don't know how long I am sat here for but after what must have been ten minutes, I am aware that there are more people in the room. I close my eyes and continue. I suddenly feel a hand on my shoulder. I stop and turn to see that Phil, Pj and Sophie are all in the room. Chris is sat on his bed with Sophie while Pj stands in the doorway and Phil is right beside me, hand on my shoulder. "You didn't tell me you could play." Phil says.

"It never came up." I shrug.

"That was beautiful." Sophie says from the bed. "You're just the full package, young man, aren't you?"

I blush. "Miss Hayes, my old teacher, taught me. It's the only thing I didn't forget how to do." I say.

"Well, I've arranged with Sophie to tutor you on school days and I'm sure she would be more than happy to let you play every once in a while." Phil says before adding, "with Chris' permission of course."

"Are you kidding?" Chris asks. "Of course he can, it's not like I was putting it to good use."

"Thank you." I mumble shyly, staring intently at my feet.

"Come on, let's go home before I pass out." Phil says and I frown.

"No, um, you stay here, I'll go and get your wheelchair." I say, getting to my feet and walking back downstairs with everyone else.

"There's no need, Dan, it's only ten minutes from here." Phil says.

"That's too long." I state. "It was only okay on the way here because we stopped at the school. You wait here, I'll be as quick as I can."

Phil shakes his head but sits down on the sofa beside Pj anyways. "You're too kind."

"I'll be back soon." I say before turning to the front door and leaving the house.

I step outside and frown. Since when did it get so dark?