Ch 33: Prowess

We continued eating and I marvelled at the new side of Serge I was witnessing.  I had become accustomed to him acting guiltily grim.  The evidence that there was more to him than just the man who was trying to fix the problem he had caused was an insight that intrigued me.

The curse was not impressed with my undue interest and proceeded to progressively push ice through my veins, but I did my best to ignore it.  I could feel myself shaking with the effort of my battle.

While I fought, supper was cleared off the table and the two younger children repeated their pleas to show me their rooms.  Karen insisted they go and complete their homework first.  Both complied along with their older brother, with minimal whining.

Once the kids were set up and the kitchen was cleaned, Karen suggested a round of cards.

"Do you feel up to trying, or would you rather head back home?" Serge asked me.

I knew what the curse would prefer, so I said the opposite.  "I can try."

Dan got out a deck of cards and after some discussion we began playing a game of hearts.

I lost the first game pretty terribly and did not do much better the second, but I did not care.   The important part was that I managed to function past the curse's intent.

I was slowly dealing the second hand of our third game when Serge's phone rang.

"Sorry, it's Leah.  I've got to take this," he apologized.  I heard his chair scrape back and his footsteps as he walked into the living room.

Karen turned to me.  "So, are you enjoying playing this at all?"

I considered.  It was not that I disliked the game so much, as it was hard to enjoy myself when I had to fight the curse to make every decision.  The only tricks that were easy to play were the ones when there was only one legal move available.  Following suite with only one of the right type was a breeze.

"I think it's g-good for me," I told her.  I shivered.

I saw her nod from the corner of my eye.  "That's good then.  Do you know how to play crib?"

I nodded.

"I'll bring a board over, if you want."

"O-okay," I agreed reluctantly.  Fight the curse, fight the curse, I reminded myself to keep myself from running away from scary things like Karen with a crib board.

Serge walked back into the room.  I could almost feel his tension in the prickling on the back of my neck.  "I think I'm going to have to cut our night short," he said with an apologetic note.

"What happened?" Dan asked.

Serge was quiet for a long moment before he responded.

"There's been a challenge."

I heard Karen gasp and Dan say, "Oh, shit."

Although I remained quiet, I felt the significance of his words as deeply as the rest of them.

* *  *   *   *   *   *  * *

We left quickly after Serge's explanation.  I apologized to Macy and Payton that I would have to skip my tour of their rooms this time, before Serge swept me out the door.  Both children's eyes were wide.  Neither knew what was happening, but they clearly had sensed something was amiss.

The drive back to the house was quiet until I managed to find the strength to speak.

"Are y-you okay?" I asked before realizing what a stupid question it had been.  Of course he was not okay; I knew how I would feel if someone challenged my father or brother, our family's legacy.