Chapter 4

Before I knew it, a hoard of people popped out of nowhere and swept me backstage. I looked out amazed. On the stage, there were three chairs; two of them sat side by side and the other one was behind a desk. I couldn't believe my eyes. In the chair behind the desk sat none other than Stacey Thorne, the most famous talk show host of our time. Damn, I was going to be on Thorne Channel!

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard Stacey speak. "Next, we'll be talking to no other than Brody Bronavich and his soon-to-be wife, Paige Wheeler."

"Wait, Brody is here?" I asked, panicked. I felt like I was about to drown. I couldn't handle dealing with this ass again, not on such short notice and especially not on national television! We would look like dumbasses! I wasn't that good of an actress.

"Well of course!" Meredith exclaimed. "Mr. Bronavich will be your husband, so you two will be making quite a few appearances together," she explained.

"Did I hear my name?" Brody said, waltzing in with a smirk I wish I could smack off his face.

"I guess the saying is true, speak of the devil, and he comes," I spat with an eye roll.

"You really need to learn your place," he snapped back.

"Whatever, what are you gonna do? Not marry me? We both know that's not an option."

"Unless you're dead," he threatened.

"Did you just threaten me?"

"Did you not hear me?"

"You're on in thirty seconds," some random dude with an earpiece interrupted.

"Both of you, behave," Meredith interjected. "Put on a smile and act like you like each other."

"I better get an Oscar," I mumbled.

"And we're back," greeted Stacey. "I'd like to welcome the Future Commander and Commandress to the floor." I looked up at Brody and he looked at me. It was a split-second, but there was warmth in his eyes. He grabbed my hand and led me to the chairs. As soon as we entered, the audience roared. I was nervous as hell. "How is the hottest couple of the century doing?" Stacey asked, pulling me back to reality.

"Well," Brody started, "We're doing fine. It's been a whirlwind of emotions. I've known for a year now who I'm betrothed to, but Paige just found out."

"Yes, it's quite weird being thrown into the media all of a sudden," I squeaked out. I was so nervous. I could feel thousands, no millions, of people watching. I bet my parents were staring at the t.v. right now baffled their daughter was on the most watched talk show. The most public speaking I'd ever done was give a speech in front of a class of twenty. This was way out of my comfort zone.

"I can see why," Stacey responded. "Can you tell the world more about you?" she asked, keeping the interview going.

"Well, there's nothing much to say. I come from a normal family. My parents own a local bakery together, and I have three younger brothers."

"Three brothers? That sounds interesting," she persisted.

"That's an understatement," I said with a chuckle. "They are the most boisterous boys I know, but I love them." I added.

"That's sweet," Stacey said with love in her tone. I felt something squeeze my hand. I realized Brody was still holding it. I looked up at him and could tell he wanted to move on.

"Yeah, but enough about that, let's talk about Brody and me," I said trying to divert the conversation. I felt another squeeze; I looked up to a happy face. I didn't know he had that emotion.