Chapter 1

I look in the mirror, wondering what my future will be. Will I be like my parents? Just plain and simple, three kids, normal jobs, normal house. Or will I be like my best friend who was just told she will become a billionaire by taking over one of the government's businesses? I don't know, which makes my stomach twist and turn. I see a girl with wavy long dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and full mouth with a little dimple on the left side. She's wearing a cute little yellow dress with white sandals. But who is this person? Do I know her? No, I don't know who I am, but today I turn sixteen, the day I find out who I'm meant to be. Today, I'll go to the Teller and find out what my future is.

I see my mom walking up behind me, pulling me out of my deep thoughts. I look exactly like her, the blondish hair, the blue eyes, our chin shape. Everyone tells me that I'm extremely lucky to look so much like my mother since she's absolutely stunning. I love it when people talk to me about my mom because she is my inspiration. When I was younger, I'd go to my grandparent's house after school everyday, free babysitters my mom called them, and eat a delicious snack. But after the snack was gone, I'd curl up on my Nanna's lap and have her tell me all about my mom.

When she was sixteen, she was told she would run a bakery with her husband, marry Ray Wheeler, live in 1512 Garden Street, and have no more than four kids. She met Ray, my dad, and fell instantly in love with him. She always tells me, 'I'm such a lucky person. I was given the best future. I couldn't ask for a better husband or kids.' I am the oldest child; I have three younger brothers. I was happy with our lives. My mom loved my dad with all her heart, but in some cases spouses hate each other. They have no way of getting out of the marriage because you can't disobey the Teller. If someone goes against their purpose, they're immediately killed.

"Paige, are you ready?" my mom asked, pulling me out of my trance once again.

"I guess," I replied. "I'm just nervous about what I'll get."

"Everyone is nervous the day of their fortune, but everything will be fine. I mean, look at how your dad and I turned out."

"Yeah, but what if I don't get that lucky, just look at Billy Joe's family. They're absolutely miserable."

"Well, sweetie, there's nothing we can do about it. Just go in with an open mind and everything will turn out all right," she comforted me.

"Ok, wish me luck," I responded, more nervous than someone with stage fright in front of a million people. I just wish my mom could've gone with me, but finding your future is something you must do without your parents because depending on your future, you may never see them after eighteen.

I slowly made my way out of the house. I usually don't drag my feet, but I felt that if I went slower maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Once I finally made it outside, I got in the Future Taxi—the vehicle that would take me to the Teller. When I got in, I saw two other kids, a girl and a guy. It must've been their birthday also because this taxi brings everyone in the surrounding counties to the local Teller.

"Happy birthday, girly," the boy said to me as soon as I got into the car.

"Thanks, you too," I responded. I was so nervous, but these other kids were in the same boat as me. "Do we have any others to pick up?"

"Nope, you're the last one," the girl replied. "How are you feeling? You nervous?" she asked.

"Of course. How about you?"

"No, I'm not. My parents are happily married and my twin and I are so lucky to have our family."

"You two are siblings?"

"Yeah, I'm so lucky to have her as my sister," the guy said sarcastically. I should've been able to tell that the minute I stepped in the taxi. They looked exactly the same— blonde hair, freckles, plump lips. The only difference was their hair. She had long curled hair—probably the cutest hair I'd ever seen. His hair was short and didn't have much style to it. If they were the same gender I don't think I would've been able to tell them apart.