𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

𝑨𝑵𝑺𝑾𝑬𝑹𝑰𝑵𝑮
𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑼𝑵𝑯𝑬𝑨𝑹𝑫 𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳

─────⊰ ✧.*✦*.✧ ⊱─────

   𝐋𝐈'𝐒 𝐆𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐒𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐃 through the otherwise silent room as Emmeleia was staring at the dark wooden ceiling of her bed. The grains along the wood made for an uneven texture that could be followed into a web or roads.

Emmeleia wanted to sleep as soundly as Li always did, but lately, she couldn't. If she did fall asleep, she'd wake up not much later covered in cold sweat. Not even Naya could calm her down as the wolf was all too restless as well.

She wondered how Li and the others didn't seem to be affected by their trip to the cave whatsoever, but she couldn't stop thinking about it. She didn't miss the haunting void, however, there was something that seemed to call out to her, asking and almost pulling her back into the void.

Her bed croaked as she stepped out of it. She changed into her daywear and slipped out of the room. She didn't have to look back to sense that Naya had followed her, which gave her some feeling of relief to know she wasn't going to embark on this trip on her own.

The corridors were empty, as if not even the Diocesan were allowed outside of their chambers. The rules that the High Daoshi had explained on their first day of school echoed through her mind, but she shook it off. She couldn't go on one more night in bed, wide awake, too afraid to fall asleep. She was going to face her fears, even if it meant breaking the rules and suffering the consequences of it.

Sneaking out of Beiyiqi proved to be much easier than she'd initially thought it would be. She heard and saw not a soul within the walls of the institute, but now that she was outside, the eerie voices of the night called out to her.

The forest wasn't as beautiful at night time as it had been during the sunset and without the comfort of her classmates, she didn't feel nearly as safe. The trees shielded her from the light that the moon radiated. She moved slowly through the forest, her eyes wandering off to every little sound she heard.

The wildlife that lived within the trees weren't asleep, but instead rustled through the branches to keep an eye on its surroundings. They weren't playing like Emmeleia had seen them do, they were guarding and on high alert.

Naya nuzzled her head against Emmeleia's hand and Emmeleia returned the favour with a soft pet over her head. As the pair reached closer to the cave, Naya's ears perked up. The wolf stopped walking and turned at once, her teeth angrily showing. Emmeleia noticed and turned too, her throat closing up as she tried to swallow hard. She was standing right before an armadillo bear, like the ones she'd seen in the valley far below Beiyiqi.