"No," Tony said.

"He's a good guy. You'd like him. He's been good for Eddie."

"Why are you suddenly bringing all this up? Was Eddie there last night?" Tony asked, automatically going into detective mode.

For the briefest of moments, I thought of telling Tony the truth. I was willing to bend the rules for Eddie. I wasn't sure Tony was. "No," I lied. "Mainly because of Isaiah, Eddie and I have reconnected recently."

I could see it in his eyes. He knew I was lying. "Okay," he said, not calling me out on my lie.

"They are moving out of town."

"When?" Tony asked.

"Today," I said. "They're probably already gone. They've been planning it for a while," I said so he wouldn't think they skipped town because of last night's events. "It will be good for them to have a fresh start, a life they start together."

Tony nodded, but didn't say anything.

"He's been protecting us for years, Tony without either of us knowing it. Maybe you should rethink your stance on him and your family. Maybe Sophie and Milo should know about their uncle who did everything he could to save them without asking for anything in return."

"Do you have his number?"

I quickly sent a text to Tony with Eddie's number. "I should get back to the station," I said. I left him there to think about everything I had told him.

It was late afternoon when I got another call from the officer working up front. "There are two people here to see you," he said. "They say they are Jessica and Tanner."

I had seen the pictures on their I.D.s and their mugshots when I had looked them up earlier so I knew what they looked like. I went out to the front. It was them. They were alive. It wasn't a surprise that Zach had lied to Eddie to torture him further. The world wouldn't miss him. I led them back to my desk just to settle things.

"Who called in the wellness check?" Jessica said.

"It was anonymous," I said. "It looks like you are both alright."

"Yes," Jessica said. "We haven't been in town. We came back in town after we saw the news."

They didn't stay long and soon after my shift was over. When I got home, Adam made tacos. These were the best moments of my day, when I was with Adam. He had a way of making me feel safe and loved like no one else made me feel.

"How was your day?" he asked as we sat at the table to eat.

"Alright," I said. "I told Tony."

"About Eddie?"

I nodded, "And about how I used to be in love with him and Eddie was protecting that secret. Tony said he had already known. I'm glad I didn't know that he knew though. He never made things awkward between us and I think I would have. And Jessica and Tanner are fine." I had gone out to the living room last night when Eddie called and I had thought Adam was asleep, but when I went back into the bedroom he was wide awake. I told him everything that Eddie and I had talked about. He was genuinely happy for me that I was rekindling my friendship with Eddie. This time our friendship had evolved. As much as I had cherished and needed our friendship before, there was always something unhealthy buried underneath and that wasn't there anymore. We had both grown.

Adam's phone rang. He smiled when he saw who it was. He turned the screen to me so I could see the name Isabelle.

"Hello," he answered. There was silence on his end as the little girl spoke. Then he said, "That's good." He paused again as Isabelle spoke. "I'm good," he said. "What are the names of your new friends?" She didn't call often, but she did sometimes call Adam and when she did, his voice always changed to a gentle dad voice and he had that small smile.

My phone rang. It was Eddie. I immediately answered and walked into the other room so my phone call wouldn't interfere with Adam's. "Hi," I said.

"Hi," he said. "You told me to call you when we got here. We're here. We're all moved in."

"Do you like your new apartment?"

"Yeah," he said. "It's a one bedroom this time instead of a studio so the bed isn't in the same space as the living room. I think this is better."

"I think so too," I said.

"Isaiah has his class schedule and starts monday."

"What about you? Do you have a job lined up?"

"I applied to a few bouncer positions," he said. "True bouncer jobs not like what I had with Zach. I won't ever do that again."

"That's good," I said. "So you'll be working nights then?"

"Probably," he said.

"I think you should apply to the university there," I said. "Or at least a local community college." He didn't answer so I went on. "You had planned to go to college before all this happened. Do you have money for it? If not, we can figure something out, but I really think you should attend."

"I have money," he said. "I hadn't thought about the possibility of college since I started working for Zach. I guess I just thought that dream was closed off to me. There's nothing really stopping me now though is there?"

"No," I said.

"I'll look into it," he said.

"Jessica and Tanner are alive," I said. "They came into the station and I saw them myself."

"That's a relief." The sincerity was clear in his tone. There was a pause and then he said, "I've got to go. Delivery is here with our food and Isaiah tends to forget to eat so I need to make sure he eats. We'll talk soon though."

"Yeah," I said.

"Tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow."