𝐗𝐗𝐈: Bombs Away

Start from the beginning

     And she's going to blow herself up.

     Finn is giving an order to Jasper, something Lyra can barely make out. "... line up the shot."

     His eyes are locked on Raven, and yet he is completely still. His girlfriend is crawling towards a bomb and yet he doesn't even blink. Distress makes his eyes glitter and his fists are clenched and he still doesn't move.

     "What the hell is wrong with you?" She shrieks, white hot anger lashing through her skin like a fork of lightning. This is Raven, this is his girlfriend. "What are you doing? You aren't going to help her?"

     He stares back at her wordlessly.

     Jasper's features are slack with shock, "Lyra?"

     Yet she only looks at Finn, who still hasn't moved. As if since Raven isn't Clarke, he doesn't care.

     But Lyra cares about Raven.

     Her body throws itself into motion. Her feet are flying across the dirt. Pounding in time with the drums of war, limbs quaking from exhaustion. But she keeps going. She doesn't think she can stop. Not even if she wants to. All she hears are the war drums in her ears, thundering, roaring, and all she can see is Raven curling in herself upon the bridge.

     "RAVEN!" Wild and hoarse with terror, she screams her name above the drums. "RAVEN!"

     A shriek is ripped from her mouth when the terrain becomes an abrupt concave in the soil. She goes weightless. Then she's crashing through the shrubbery, legs crumpling, rolling through the dirt. Blood spurts through her mouth, hot and sticky and acidic, and it mixes with the dirt as she splutters for air. Rocks gnaw at her bare skin, and she is spat out onto the edge of the bridge.

     Adrenaline explodes through her veins. Violet blossoms over her cheek as she forces the momentum of the fall to propel herself upwards, lurching to her feet, and taking off again. Her feet smack against the metal.

     Her breath is rampant on her lips. "Raven!"

     The mechanic is flat on her stomach, rifle cocked in her hands. Peering through the scope. Pointing it directly at the X. She's only a few feet away from it ━━ if she shoots, they'll both die.

The war drums are deafening here. Lyra can hardly breathe. And she can't think. She can't think. All she can see is Raven laying there, hunched in pain, about to get herself killed.

Lyra does not hesitate. Seizing the slender girl by her middle, she drags her backwards, hauling her into a standing position. Raven's unfettered fingers scrabble uselessly at the smaller girls jacket. A grimace crawls across her features, a wince rattling through her voice as she croaks;

"Lyra? What are you doing here?"

"Making sure you don't die."

Horror straggles through her spine as she helps Raven limp off the bridge. They're moving agonisingly slow. She can hear individual Grounders crying out now. It won't be hard for an arrow or a spear to go hurtling through their backs.

Agony mists through Raven's eyes. She lets out a sharp whimper and Lyra strains to hold more of her weight.

     "Lyra! Raven!"

     Finn's at the edge of the tree line. As soon as Lyra's feet thump against the earth instead of ringing hollowly against the metal bridge, he's surging forwards, grabbing Raven from her arms. Pain eats Lyra away, her breath ragged pants, and she nearly collapses into the ditch that Finn leads her and Raven to.