Chapter Seventeen: This Is Awkward

Jackson's POV

Jackson was having a lot of fun hanging out with Sarah. She was really nice, and funny too. They shared a lot of interests, and Jackson knew a strong relationship was in the making. Maybe it wouldn't be so awkward to kiss her. And, well, play her husband in a musical.

Not that he liked her. She was sweet, and funny, and really pretty, but Jackson didn't like her. He liked a lot of things about her, but not her.

Jackson thought about her as he went home later that day. She was interesting. He really enjoyed hanging out with her.

"Hey Jax," Ella said as she greeted him at the door.

"Hi."

"Where've you been?" She asked.

"At a friend's house," Jackson responded.

"Which friend?"

"It's not important." Jackson wasn't sure why he felt defensive about hanging out with Sarah. He just felt that way. Maybe he just didn't feel like sharing everything with his sister. That was normal, right?

"Fine," she scoffed.

~~~~~~

     It was the next day, and Jackson was back at school. He was walking through the halls with Sarah, talking to her about random things and practicing lines. All while they were talking, they tried to get to know each other more. Jackson found out that Sarah was very interested in gardening. She explained that although people thought it was an odd thing to like, she enjoyed the flowers when they bloomed. Jackson thought it was cool that she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty. Most of the girls he knew cared a lot about their clothes and look and didn't want to mess it up. He liked that Sarah was different.

     "Do you want to practice lines?" Sarah asked after a bit.

     "Sure." 

     So Jackson said his part, and then Sarah spoke hers. Soon it was time for the event that surely made both of them nervous.

     Sarah tucked her blonde hair behind her ears. Jackson couldn't help but notice how cute she looked when she did that.

     "If we're going to kiss in the performance...shouldn't we practice it?" Sarah said shyly.

"Yeah, okay," Jackson replied.

     First Jackson checked to see that no one else was around. Sure enough, no one was there. It was lunch time, so everyone would've been in the cafeteria. So Jackson turned back to Sarah as they both stepped closer to one another. It's just a kiss on the cheek, Jackson, don't be so nervous. So Jackson leaned in. But right as he was about to press his lips to Sarah's cheek, she turned her head. Soon Jackson was kissing her lips. And although he knew he shouldn't have, there was part of him that enjoyed it.

     Jackson pulled away after a second, saying, "W-why did you turn your head?"

     Sarah's face turned red. "I swear, I didn't mean to, there was movement over to my left..." She started.

     Jackson looked over. Oh no, he thought. "Mr. D?"

     "That's my name!" He smiled as he walked over to them. "I'm very glad you're practicing, but you know it's just a kiss on the cheek, right?"

     "You saw that?" Jackson asked, then mentally smacked his head. "I mean, we weren't going to-"

     "Maybe I should talk..." interrupted Sarah.