Today was the second day of my junior year in high school. All night I was tossing and turning just thinking about Luke and everyone from last year. Shivers ran down my spine. I got up, dragging my feet to my closet, picking out a random t-shirt and leggings, and tying up my old converse. Running down the stairs I brushed my hair, grabbed a granola bar, kissed my mom goodbye and grabbed a pack of gum on my way out.

***

Once I got to homeroom, I sat in my seat, flicking my eyes over to the door every once in a while to see if Luke was coming. Just as I was losing hope that he wasn't coming, he ran through the door, out of breath and his hair totally messed up. Still adorable though.

Stupid mind.

As class continued, Luke's leg kept brushing against mine again, and the shockwaves dazed me for a while.
I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"Poppy."
I looked at Luke.
"Were you even listening?" I shook my head, bashfully. He laughed, his body shaking. My cheeks flushed.
"Alright. Well we're supposed to be writing about Shakespeare. Do you read that stuff?" He asked.
"No, but I've read little snippets and poems and he's so deep." I confessed.
"Let's get to work then."

***

The morning flew by again, and just as I was approaching my locker. I heard a familiar voice.
"Hey Poopy!" I cringed. Them.
I turned, and stood Dave and Petunia. My old friends, who in some short time became my enemies.
"What do you guys want?" I spit out. And out of nowhere, I felt a sharp sting across my cheek, and a smacking sound echoed through the empty halls.
"How dare you speak to us that way, you slut." Petunia spat at me.
Dave took my arms in his grip way too tight, and started yanking me somewhere. I started yelping, crying out for someone.
"Shut up dude! If you want what's best, you would shut your fat face." Dave yelled at me. Silent sobs racked my body, fear running through my veins and tears racing down my cheeks.
"Hey!!! Let her go!!" My savior.
I turned my head, only to find the one and only Michael Clifford.
"Michael! Help me!!" He stormed over, yanked his fist back and punched Dave straight in the nose, knocking him out. I stood there for a second, contemplating my way of expressing my gratitude.
"Well," Michael panted, "you gonna thank me?" I ran to his arms, crying tears of pure joy into his neck.
"You have no idea."
Michael carried me bride style to the lunchroom, and when we got to the entrance, I tried to wiggle out, but his grip just tightened.
"I can walk, Mike."
"Yeah but I want to make Luke jealous. Just play along. Please?"
"Whatever." I shrugged, wondering why Luke would be jealous. As we walked in, all eyes were on us, and me and Michael just looked at each other and smirked. He walked over to the table, and carefully set me in a seat, and sat down next to me. The lunchroom was completely silent.
"Hey, what're you all looking' at?" Michael shouted, and everyone turned back to their own tables.
"What was that about?" Luke asked, speaking low in my ear. I could feel his lips trailing so lightly against my earlobe and I was having a hard time containing myself.
"Michael just saved me from a run in and decided to make me feel better." I smiled, putting my arm around Michael's shoulders.
"I wish I could've been there, Poppy. I'm sorry." Guilt traced Luke's face as his finger ran over the red mark on my cheek. God, he had a major effect on me, and as it began to show, his smirk began to grow. Oh lord. He neared my ear again.
"I have an affect on you, Poppy. Don't I?" His lips grazed the skin under my ear and I lightly gasped, standing up.
"I uh...pee." I mustered up, with my flustered cheeks and wobbly knees, I walked out of the cafeteria.