I wanted to write before I went to school, just to clear my mind before I was on my way back to the hell hole they call high school.

I closed my journal, and packed my school bag to start a fresh new year as a junior in high school.

***

As I sat in my first hour, people rapidly filing in the room, the seat next to me staying empty. I just got out my notebook for this class and a pen and started doodling swirls along the page. A long screech of chair legs on the tile floor was heard aside me. I dared to look up, only to meet the most vibrant of blue eyes. His blonde hair was highly thrown up, into a quiff, as you would call it. He had a lip ring, making me internally cringe. He half smiled, to which I just turned to the front.
As the teacher was talking, I wasn't able to focus for the boy's leg was brushing up against mine every now and then, and it shot waves of electricity through my whole being, making me shiver.
"Okay everyone,", the teacher called.
"The person you are sitting next to will be your project partner for this quarter. I will give you this class to get to know them." the teacher turned to his desk and began reading.
I looked shyly up at this mysterious boy, locking my eyes with his.
"My names Luke." He put out his hand. I studied his hand, and how it looked callous but soft at the same time. I slid my slender hand into his, letting the feeling of his hands imprint themselves into my own.
"Poppy." I pulled my hand from his grip. "You new here?" I asked.
"Yeah, from Australia."
"Sick."
"Sick." He mocked.
I gave him a weird look, and let out a little giggle.
"That was cute, actually." I looked over at him, and the rose of our cheeks matched and we sat in silence until the bell rang.

***

The morning flew by in a blur of teachers and rude students. I kept doodling in my journal, not really caring about what teachers or any other people in my class had to say. It was time for lunch and I was humming the tune of 'Bones' by Lewis Watson on my way to my locker. As I was getting my lunch out, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Behind me stood Luke, the guy from my homeroom.
"Hey." I said.
"Hey, Poppy. I was wondering if you'd like to sit with me and my friends at lunch."
I stood, thinking for a minute, until I said,
"Why not? What are their names?"
He smiled, and starting walking to the lunch room.
"Well so the guy with purple hair is michael. He will be rude at first, but don't take it to heart."
"Purple hair?"
"Don't ask. The guy who looks Asian, which he isn't. His name is Calum, he's very shy. The guy with curly blonde-ish hair is Ashton. He's a real sweetheart. Then there's Melanie, who is Calum's sister, and she's awesome. You'll love her."
"What a bunch you've got there. How'd you meet them?"
"Well so Michael lives with me, because he's an orphan and my parents took him in and his best friend was Ashton, and his friend Calum was, I found out, my old friend from junior high." 
"That's so cool, like actually."
By the time we reached the lunch room, Luke had grabbed my arm and tug my arm through the huge crowd to the table in the back. His hand finally slid down, and he grabbed and intertwined our fingers and the shocking feeling came back. I smiled, a pink tint rising to my cheeks. Once we got to the table, I recognized everyone that Luke had described. I waved shyly, and grabbed the nearest open seat. That ended up being sandwiched between Luke and Michael.
"Who's she?" Michael said.
"She's my friend, Poppy."
"She's got a funny name."
"Hey, Michael, is it? I'm sitting right here. If you don't like my name, say it to my face." I glared. I loved the originality of my name.
"I don't like your name." He smirked.
"Cool." I smirked right back. His smirk grew into a large smile, and he looked back to Luke.
"I like her. Oops! I'm beginning to like you Poppy." Michael wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me into a side hug.
"So yeah, this is Poppy guys. Poppy, I already told you there names." Luke said, and each of them waved to me, and I waved back. Looks like I have my own group now. Thankfully they don't seem like them, from last year.