.3.

Chapter-3
The families at tension.

Staring into each other's eyes deeply, both Rahul and Anjali were completely lost. They couldn't shift their gaze until Aarna who had just woken up, started shouting.

Coming back from her trance, Anjali immediately shifted her steps towards Aarna's room. She found her yelling at Anant who had stolen her new teddy bear.

"What happened to you both!" She yelled at the kids. Hearing to their sister, both became silent.

"Di he took my teddy!" The little one whined while Anant hid the teddy behind his back.

And when Anjali narrowed her eyes, he finally gave up and showed her the teddy. Realising how cute her brother was, she couldn't hold her laughter.

Giving a warm smile to him, she pecked his forehead.
"Give it to Aarna. I'll get you a better one evening. Anyways, they will be coming to our house."

"You're the best di! Thank you!!" Pecking his sister's cheek, he left showing tongue to Aarna. Giggling over their situation, Anjali made Aarna bathe and gave a straight entry into the kitchen.

Akshaya was talking to Vrinda, Anjali's bestfriend, on call making parathas.
"You don't even know what's happening there akki! Ask Anjali whether she met jiju or not!" Vrinda yelled in the call. She sarcastically mentioned 'Jiju'.

"Di, I'm her sister not a spy! If she wants to talk about her feelings, she definitely will. And first of all, he's not our jiju according to her!" Akshaya said.

Realising what she had spoken the day before, she rewinded the memories when she used to blush when her friends and the kids would call him 'Jiju'. And that blush soon faded away when he stepped out of her life.

Chucking her thoughts, she stepped in and took the phone.
"And if you're so interested about my life Ms.Aachar, please do ask me! Stop using my sister as child labour." She said.

Vrinda who was having her coffee, spilt it out listening to her voice.
"You idiot! Why didn't you say it was you! You spoilt my dress." She whined.

"And I knew again that you were going to spill your coffee di. Why don't you stop panicking!" Akshaya said laughing.

"And why doesn't your sister stop scaring me akki!" Said Vrinda in her as usual mocking tone.
"Because I like irritating people who don't even remember their friend who has con-" She stopped abruptly.

Hearing complete silence, Vrinda fake coughed to get their attention. Akshaya was staring at Anjali with a numb expression, as she couldn't register that her sister for the very first time, was going to speak out the name of the disease she had, that she hated.

"Ehm, excuse me guys, I'll go and get ready. Today's an important one." She started moving out of the kitchen.
"Ofcourse. I know why she's rushing." Vrinda ended up blurting.

"Why? I just dont know why every year this day, she gets ready and rushes to somewhere." Akshaya noticing the odd behaviour of both, asked with a furrow on her eyebrows.
"Akki, I am trusting you." She said.
"And if you don't, I will have to ask her directly Di. And I know that won't be good!" Anant said from behind.

Having no other option left, Vrinda started her story.

"So you guys know, before Anju had got the disease, she was studying with us. He had always seemed nothing less than an arrogant idiot to me. But only and only Anju knew the reason why he was such a jerk. They were together since school and their bond grew stronger. And 8 years before, they proposed to each other on this day, but the next year they broke up on their one-year anniversary at the same place. There's a temple on the Bellikkal hills, which is 3-4 kms from Ooty railway station. After school, it was their daily routine to meet there and rant all the way down till they reached their houses."