Arthur Fleming laughed, and so did Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon. It really had been a weekend like no other, Edward Buxton thought as his gaze swept across the party in the room. He'd come here wanting one thing, he'd accepted an invitation with only one thing on his mind; and now it seemed that there was more that he wanted, more that he needed, and more that he wished for. A sudden feeling washed over him as his thoughts lead him to her, to Lady Diana Beaumont. The tingly gush in the pit of his stomach made him straighten himself as a shiver traced his back. How could he have still kept falling for her after all that happened? It seemed impossible that every angry word she had thrust at him only made him want her more without him even realizing it.

"How was your weekend here, my lords?" Lady Templemore spoke again, a beaming smile on her face as she looked towards Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon in inquiry, "I do so hope we were tolerable company for such businessmen as yourselves."

"More, madam," Isaac Algernon smiled as he announced, glancing at Edward with a confirming look on his face.

"Yes, more. We are grateful to you, and to Mr Templemore, for hosting us. Our time here has been diverting and pleasant," Edward acknowledged, nodding, "I would also like to apologize for my behavior that night," he paused, that night seemed like the only way to recall that day. "It was disrespectful and I beg your pardon for any offense I may have generated with such an action."

"Lord Edward Buxton, your offense was forgiven and forgotten the second you and Lord Algernon saved my drowning niece and her companion," The Countess imparted, her expression changing to a genuine and stern one, "You have done me a huge service, and although I cannot possibly thank you in words without my mind torturing me to dwell on what would've happened were you two absent, I intend to offer you my regards in whichever way I can." With that, the lady of the house exchanged an assured smile with her son, who beamed back.

"I have judged my son's capability to judge incorrectly. He has chosen fine candidates for his first business investment, except for Mr Percy might I add, and I can't help but feel proud. Thus, I have given him my opinion and blessing to go forth with this endeavor with Portsmouth Mills & Co, and I'm sure Diana would agree as well since hers is the second opinion Frank is after," The Countess finished with a smile and Frank Templemore nodded, glancing towards Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon, offering them an assured nod.

Suddenly, the drawing room door burst open, and the party all turned their heads to look towards it in shock. The butler of the house rushed in, his tailcoat flying about and his forehead glistening with sweat under the light of the room. He held a maid by her arm as he dragged her in, her expression was worried while his was more frantic.

"What is the meaning of this?" The Countess bellowed her eyes going wide in anger.

"I'm sorry to barge in, my lady, but something terrible has occurred," The butler let out, his words rushed and jumbled, with the party barely making them out.

"What happened?" Frank Templemore stepped forward, his eyes observing the maid held by her elbow. If this vulgar interruption was all about the inconsistency of a maid, then he had half a mind to lessen the household staff by sending the butler on his way first with his tail coat between his legs.

"Lady Diana Beaumont and Lady Alicia Kirkpatrick are not in their rooms," The butler swallowed, his eyes jumping from the lady of the house to Frank Templemore and then back to her again.

"Then where are they?" Mrs Fleming's voice came, a worried expression on her face as she stood up from the sofas, her baby in her arms.

"I d-don't know but I asked the servant in the stables who saddled Lady Beaumont's house, and he said that she was riding with Mr Percy when an hour later his assistant brought back both their horses, claiming that they had resorted to walking," the butler stammered, rushing to get all that he knew out, "The servant said that he didn't see either of them after that, b-but I don't understand since the footmen already informed me that Mr Percy and his assistant already left the premises. I then asked all the house staff if they knew anything else about the whereabouts of the ladies and this maid claimed she was with Lady Kirkpatrick when she was called outside so I-I brought her straight here."