The Plan

It was the summer going into

tenth grade. I had two weeks until school began, but they always had picture day earlier at the high school I would be attending. Originally, I was going to go with my friend, Elena. She had to cancel on me because her summer vacation to London had been extended. Lucky her I thought to myself. I had one week until it was finally picture day. All I could hope was that she'd come back in time. It probably wouldn't happen though, since her family could most definitely afford staying away as long as they wanted.

Unlike me, Elena was filthy rich. Although she was rich, she was not stuck up. I loved this quality of hers. She had been my best friend since kindergarten. We were both outsiders.

Many thought we were beautiful and perfect. They would think that we were for sure the most popular girls at our school. But honestly I didn't care about all that. I think we both realized at a young age that there were more important things in life than having the hottest boyfriend or having the most friends. I was satisfied with having Elena. She was so understanding, she knew me better than I knew myself. We would communicate with a look, sometimes have full conversations without words. She was beautiful, no one could deny that. She was smart, kind and hilarious. We were the best team.

Going into high school I knew I wouldn't change. You see, part of the reason why I wasn't popular was because I was both shy and awkward. I hadn't been noticed much in middle school so this never really mattered. Soon I realized I would have to go through high school the same way, invisibly passing through. I was okay with this.

I had decided this would be my way. I would go unnoticed, I would only have Elena. She was all I needed in all honesty. I made my own little plan. Focus on school over anything else. Don't get distracted by guys, although, who am I kidding no one would go after me. They didn't in middle school and they wouldn't start now. And finally, stick by Elena through it all. We'd been through a lot together and I wouldn't lose her now. Three simple steps. It should be easy, I mean it's only three more years. I'll get through easily... right?