17

[Stella's performance outfit above]

Luke and Stella popped back into the garage. They looked around at Julie and the boys practicing with a confused look.

Luke and Stella stood and said, "Whoa, Julie."

Julie glanced up and said, "Grab your guitar and microphone. We got work to do."

Luke grabbed his guitar and put the strap over his shoulder. Stella picked up her mic and held it with clasped hands.

"What made you come back?" Luke and Stella wondered, stepping closer to Julie.

"I realized how important music is to all of us, and we've lost so much already. We can't lose this, too."

"Thanks."

Julie smiled at Luke and Stella and the three shared an intense look of understanding and appreciation. Luke and Julie shared a look of possibly more.

"All right, boss, where we at?" Luke questioned.

Julie smiled. "Oh, and by the way, happy birthday." She chuckled. "Let's go from the pre-chorus."

Alex tapped his drumsticks together. "One, two, three, four."

---

The boys stared Stella down a long moment before Reggie asked, "Why didn't you tell us who your dad was?"

Stella sighed. "I was trying to protect you guys. Loads of good that did."

"Why didn't you just tell us that before?" Luke questioned.

"You three wouldn't give me the chance! But it doesn't matter now. I've got the same stamp you do."

"Why?" Alex wondered.

"Because my father thinks I betrayed him by joining this band and not his house band."

"Did you?" Reggie asked.

Stella nodded. "Yes. Good riddance to him."

Luke glanced down. "We're really sorry for how we treated you and I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"Yeah, we're really sorry," Alex added.

"Super sorry," Reggie said.

A small smile tugged at the brunette's lips. "It's okay. I get it. You were hurt. I probably would've reacted the same way."

They hugged and separated, though Reggie's lasted a few seconds longer.

Alex and Luke exchanged a small grin.

---

After rehearsal, Julie made her way back into the house, where she found Carlos taking pictures of the kitchen.

"What are you doing?" Julie asked.

"Looking for those orb things," Carlos replied. "I'm telling you, this place is haunted. Every time I open my laptop, it's on some... rock music site. And there's been a couple sites on some old jazz music. That ain't me, you know I'm all about the rap."

"Reggie and Stella," Julie whispered.

"I'm just trying to protect you."

Julie went to walk away, but was stopped by Carlos. "Oh, I'd be careful in there. Dad has that look on his face like when Google Maps tells him to turn on the wrong street."

The teen kept walking, but was intercepted by Ray who had his arms crossed as he asked, "Care to tell me why you missed your first three classes today?"