01

It was a typical day at the cafe down the street. Jennie had left this cafe to Chaeyoung after she had decided to pursue her dreams as a designer in Europe. So tomorrow, Chaeyoung thought, tomorrow, she would chase her dream of becoming a chef!

Jungkook was a picky person. He was a hard-to-impress food critic and an up-and-coming chef with great ambition. He had everything planned out, a restaurant in his mother's name, and a menu in mind. That is...

until his bestfriend Taehyung decided to ditch him for a job offer in some other city.

So, why can't Jungkook just find some replacement?

Well, like we've stated before, he is a picky person, and a good partner is hard to find.

In contemplation on who he should contact, he trudged down the street into a cozy, dim-lit cafe that smelled of roses. It was a lively place. Customers chatted quite comfortably and the music was mellow and gentle. He decided that it wouldn't be good to think on an empty stomach, so he asked for a table, took a quick look at the menu and set it down.

The lights created a haze, a look that seemed to be pulled straight from a dream.

"What can I get you?" A sweet voice asked. He then noticed that all the staff, including the waitress in front of him wore masks. There was a rabbit mask, a fox mask, and a smiley mask. The one in front of him was the smiley. Her hair was a pale pink and she was hunched over, eagerly awaiting his response.

He pointed to some miso ramen on the menu, the one that was labeled with the smiley face. She giggled a bit, and nodded, making her way to the back of the cafe.

He then found out after a bit of careful listening that the food on the menu is made by different people. If it was labeled with the fox mask, it was made by the person with the fox mask. If it was labeled with the smiley-mask, which was the mask he had just ordered from, then that person would prepare the food.

What a strange yet intriguing idea...

-

A handsome customer had arrived in the cafe.

"Chae, you should take the order!" The rabbit mask said. The one in the rabbit mask was none other than Jisoo, a long-time friend.

" Yeah, my legs hurt." The other mask, or the fox was Lalisa.

Both girls had their strengths. Lisa with the drinks and Thai food, and Jisoo with desserts. Chaeyoung took care of the main courses, which she didn't mind doing but she missed when there were four of them.

Jennie. She missed her.

She quickly dismissed the wave of incoming depressing thoughts and walked excitedly over to the customer. Upon closer inspection, he was indeed very handsome. Like those idols on TV. He did look a bit familiar though.

He pointed to her specialty ramen, and to that she smiled under the mask.

-

She set the noodles down in front of him and handed him a glass of ice water.

"Enjoy!" She cheered.

He nodded, and began to taste it.

Before she could see his reaction, she left to the kitchen, hearing Jisoo's panicked screams.

-

Such a delicate taste in an everyday food would shock the customer.

Something so warm and familiar.

A liquid memory.

This is it!

My new partner!

-

thank you for reading the first chapter! - melon

song to listen to: flowers - in love w a ghost ft. nori