C H A P T E R - E I G H T

Start from the beginning

"Bianca, just wait till Val is free to speak." Papà tries to reason with her.

Great. Everyone is here.

"No, Adriano! What if he's hurt! Why is Carlo here?"
She bangs on the door and both Carlo and I share a look.

"I can assure you nothing is wrong with your son." I heard John but I know it will be no use.

"Maybe he still has pneumonia?" I hear papà suggest.

"I need to see him!" She shouts again and I'm starting to get mad.

I imagine John is in front of the door, blocking my mamma from entering.

My daughter is crying in pain and my mamma just won't fucking shut up. The yelling is scarring Ellie even more.

"We'll be out in a minute, Bianca." Carlo calls out to my mamma.

That doesn't work.

As Carlo finishes his last stitch the door bangs open and my angry mamma turns to look at the mess in the room. She looks to me, then the blood, then she notices Ellie on the bed.

Immediately I'm pissed off. I'm already angry that she can't listen like a normal human and stay away. Though, now she's crossed the line.

She is about to speak but I cut her off. "Get her the fuck out now!" I yell coldly and I feel Ellie flinch. This time John did put his hands on my mamma to get her out. The order came directly from me.

I could hear her shouting from the hallway,

The door slams with a thud and I rip my eyes off of it. Carlo just finished his work. I uncover Ellie's eyes and she blinks away her tears. Her eyes are red, her cheeks match. She's tired and now her head is aching.

It's been a hell of a day.

"I'm sorry for yelling." I tell her truly. She tucks herself deep into my chest for comfort. I wrap my arms around her fragile body, pulling her close. "I'm so sorry." I whisper again, feeling utterly pathetic.

Carlo walks to the bathroom and washes his hands of blood before coming back. He grabs a bandage out of his case before zipping it up.

I have Ellie turn to him and he tapes the bandage over her stitches. "Okay, Miss Ellie, you're all done! You were so brave." He says, smiling. He hands her a lollipop from his bag. Green apple.

After he gives her a smile, she manages to crack a small one too. Ellie sniffles and I wipe the tears out of her eyes. She tucks her head away and into my chest, hiding again.

"Thank you, Carlo." I speak sincerely.

"Anytime, Valerius." He grabs his bag before exiting the room.

Good luck getting out of my house without my mamma trying to kill you.

I stay with Ellie in my arms for a few moments longer. I need the calm before the storm.

"Ellie there are some people here to see you. Only if your ready for it."

Guilt infiltrates my body.