chapter seven

7
𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵

you know those moments in life where you're actually happy to be alive? i strive for those moments because without them i'd just be another fish in the pond waiting to get hooked.

is it the weekend already? that was my first thought when i opened my front door but then i thought about what i last said to bella. even on sunday night.

was i jealous?

no. no way. i was only jealous of abel. he had her and i didn't but i'm not completely convinced that she feels the same way with me than with him.

my phone rang, its ringtone annoying me as i reached to pick it up. it was phoenix. i haven't seen him since... well since my parents died.

"hello?"

"yeah, rowan it's uh- phoenix. your cousin"

i sat up straight.

"yeah, i know you're my cousin. why are you calling? where are you?"

i hear a knock coming from my front door.

"your front door, actually"

-

"what are you— what the fuck happened to your face?"

when i opened the door, phoenix was covered in blood.

he laughed.

"you wouldn't believe me if i told you,"

he walks in and sets his stuff on the floor.

"you don't think i could use your bathroom to tidy up?"

i nodd.

"go ahead"

he finally settled on the couch. his hair slicked back fresh out of the shower.

"so are you gonna tell me what's going on?"

he sighed.

"i found the fuckers who sold your parents the drugs that night,"

i try to keep my composure.

"i thought... i thought they were clean. were they not?"

phoenix grabs his face trying to feel how fleshy his cuts were.

"i thought so too until a few days ago..."

those motherfuckers.

i got up and began to think. that wouldn't make sense, the coroner or the cops would've told me if they were high.

"how exactly did you find out?"

he looked up at me and his eyes were telling me one thing while he said another.

"i... you gotta trust me, man. look,"

he pulls out a bag of white substance. i reach for it and put it in my pocket.

"what the fuck are you doing?"

"i—i thought you wanted to know what happened,"

"you don't do that by bringing the drugs into my house. and i don't care anymore, okay? i stopped caring a long time ago and you should too. acting like they were your parents. you were never around; not unless you needed something, so how about you tell me what's really going on here?"

his facade drops instantly like he'd become another person.

"your parents owed me money, rowan. so either you give me that money or you work alongside me,"