𝐗𝐈𝐗. Cloudy With a Chance of Death

Start from the beginning

     "Wait, what?" She asks, but Monty's already diving beneath his own blanket.

     "It's Jasper," he hisses, voice muffled. "He's gone mad with power. Hide."

      Gaping at him, she finally does what he says and pulls the blanket over her face, holding her breath and going as still as possible. She hears the flap of the canvas tent move as someone ━━ probably Jasper ━━ steps inside. Metal grinds against metal and there's a shink sound, like a magazine clip being reloaded.

Footsteps thud against the dirt outside and then the zipper jostles. Someone else comes in.

"Hey, Jasper, um, you're on in fifteen. In case your hungry."

Harper?

"Thanks," he replies. "Be right out."

"I like your tent. Maybe I could, um, come by your shift, hear about the bridge again?"

Wait. Since when did Harper have a thing for Jasper?

"Um... actually I'm busy later."

"Oh. Yeah. OK." Harper sounds disappointed and rather embarrassed, which is weird. Lyra's always known her to be confident and cool. "Some other time, then. See you."

The tent entrance rustles. Harper leaves.

"Are you kidding me?" There's a jostling noise and Lyra assumes Monty's thrown the blanket off his head because now he's talking. "That was there for the taking."

"Harper?" Jasper scoffs. "She's low-hanging fruit."

Lyra gasps.

"What was that?" Jasper asks suspiciously. "Did that blanket just gasp?"

"Dude, it's a blanket," Monty deadpans.

"Yeah, but it's suspiciously Lyra shaped."

"No, it's not. Lyra's taller than that," Monty defends and Lyra thinks um, offensive. He elbows her in warning before sitting on top of her and coughing loudly when she lets out an audible Oof! "See?"

Lyra decides she very much does not want to be included in this narrative anymore.

"Besides," Monty drawls casually, elbowing Lyra sharply in the ribs again. "Don't tell me you're still holding out for Octavia."

Wait — what? Since when did Jasper have a thing for Octavia?

"I've gotta go."

"Jasper, Octavia is not gonna happen. She likes her Grounders alive."

Ooh. That's a low blow.

This is kinda entertaining, though. Does thinking that make her a horrible person?

"Go float yourself, Monty."

Lyra's brows raise.

"I'm just telling you the truth."