xv. A Zippleback Problem

Depuis le début

"Pppht? Jealous of that one-legged whimp? I just don't get how you picked him over me." He held up his arms to flex. Valkyrie gagged and turned back to Hiccup.

"Trust me," she grumbled. "It was an easy choice."

"Yeah, sure, whatever," Astrid returned the conversation back to what was at hand. Tossing her braid back, she cracked her knuckles. "You guys haven't seen anything yet. Stormfly!" the Nadder tilted her head, listening. Astrid spread out her fingres in front of her, "Spine-shot!"

She flung her tail and a row of spikes jetted up to Astrid's boot. One nicked the egde of the leather. She winced and tugged it out. "Well!" she said. "That's better than last time..."

Snotlout laughed his usual obnoxious laugh, grabbing their attention. Holding up his fist, he cried out, "Hookfang! Enihilate!" he gestured to the barricade, but his dragon had other ideas. Narrowing his eyes playfully, Hookfang set a burst of flame that knocked Snotlout off his feet, sending both him and the barricade onto the ground.

Tuffnut snickered, "Bullseye!"

"Meatlug!" Across the arena, Fishlegs swung his arms around his chest. "Hug!"

With an excited clatter of her teeth, the Gronckle flung to her rider, topping him over. She brought her tongue right up against his face and Fishlegs smiled, hugging her back fondly. Hiccup nodded, albeit a little impressed. "You know..." he murmured, "that could actually be useful." He turned to the Twins. "Ruff, Tuff, your turn."

They nodded and focused their gazes on their Zippleback. Together, they commanded, "Barf, go━!", "━Belch, come!" listening, the two separate heads pulled against one another, only to yank back and knock the other on the jaw. Ruffnut clenched her fists, fuming at her brother. They tried again. "Barf, sky━!", "━Belch, ground!"

Valkyrie winced, watching the Hideous Zippleback tumble in his effort to follow both. Barf and Belch fell to the ground, dazed. Tuffnut laughed, "Ha━ha!" he pointed at his sister. "I win!"

She slammed her foot on the ground, livid, "What do you think you're doing to my dragon?!"

"Your dragon?!" Tuff scoffed. "Puh━lease. You've been breathing in Barf's gas again."

"Yeah, so?!"

"Guys, guys!" Hiccup quickly stepped in before the two could grow more heated. He held out his hands, gentle like they were a dragon he was trying to train. "Barf and Belch is one dragon. You have to use one signal at a time."

They stopped arguing for a moment.

"Good idea," grumbled Ruffnut and they separated, turning back to their respective dragon heads. "Barf, attack Tuffnut!" she flung her arms towards her brother. Barf grinned and slammed his head into Tuff's back. The younger Twin fell against Snotlout, sending him back to the ground only after just getting back to his feet. Ruffnut laughed. "Ha! How's that?"

Fishlegs scratched his cheek nervously. "Uh ... I don't think it's what Hiccup━"

Tuffnut growled and sat up. "Belch━" he brought his fingers together in a snap, "━eat Ruffnut!"

Belch swooped down and gently encased Ruffnut's head and shoulders in a bite that still must've hurt. Valkyrie winced again, leaning back. Belch held her up and gave her a little shake. In his mouth, Ruff's muffled voice could be heard, "Uh ... ow?!"

Hiccup sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Tuff, come on..."

He rolled his eyes, "Ugh, whatever. Belch, drop Ruffnut."