No matter what her mother said to her as she lay in the hospital bed, Elodie knew there was a chance that she might not return to Hogwarts that next year. Either way, she would be pestering Célia about it until she gave in, and somewhat selfishly, Elodie put away those thoughts about Cedric, trying to hold off on thinking them until she left Hogwarts.

There was one exception to this though. After several days of fun from spending time with the Weasley twins, Elodie attended the End of Year feast. And she rose her goblet in Cedric's name, listening silently, tears glistening in the corners of her eyes as Dumbledore explained what happened to him, a spark of hope appearing in her stomach as Dumbledore then went on to tell the crowd that anyone sat in that room was welcome back then, whenever.

She even thought that Dumbledore smiled slightly in her direction, his action a little more hidden than Madame Maxime's, who looked directly at her as Dumbledore said so. 

Elodie said her goodnights to the twins after being pulled up to the Gryffindor Common room, a smile not leaving her face as they spent the evening together. And the very next morning, Elodie found herself walking alongside Fred.

The corridors were gleaming in sunlight and pretty much empty as people hurried to pack their bags. Elodie had packed last night, and she knew that George and Lee were overseeing the cases being packed into the Beauxbaton's carriage. Which was their excuse to give Fred the alone time with Elodie that he was wanting - the glares did not go unnoticed as the Weasley boy tried to usher his twin and best friend away. 

"I liked having you as a temporary Gryffindor, El." Fred dug his hands into his pockets as they walked. "Now, no pressure, but I do have one way for you to come back next year." 

"And what would that be?" A frown appeared on the girl's face. "My mum will probably take back whatever she said about me being able to go as soon as I step foot in thhe house." 

"This." Fred held up a rather familiar strip of fabric, striped red and gold. It was his tie. "I can't say the Beauxbatons uniform looks half as good on you as the Hogwarts one would. You suit red. So take it." He took her wrist rather gently, still cautious of the now-healed scars on her arms, and dropped it in her palm. 

"Fred - why are you giving me your tie?" Elodie looked up at him. "Won't you need this? I can't take this - have it back."

"You'll have to catch me first." The rather sad look that had been present in Fred's eyes disappeared in a flash, replaced by the familiar one of mischief. He set off running, back to the courtyard where students upon students were gathered, saying their goodbyes.

"Hey! Fred!" Elodie shouted, losing him in the crowd for a moment, before a head of red hair darted into sight. "Excuse me." She repeated as she made her way past people, finally emerging in a small opening in the crowd, nobody filling the space.

And Fred was waiting in the centre of it, arms held open. Elodie, slightly out of breath and not at all as fit as she remembered herself to be, ran up to him, and her feet was leaving the ground in seconds, Fred's arms circled around around her waist. 

"Promise me you'll come back? Give me this?" He glanced at the tie in her hand. Slightly choked up, absolutely hating goodbyes, Elodie nodded, taken by surprise as Fred kissed her, a smile forming on her lips within seconds of the actions, butterflies still fluttering in her stomach. 

And as Fred walked her over to the Beauxbaton's carriage, a smile didn't leave her face. Krum came over and apologised for his actions in the maze, eyes grazing over the scars that were so clear in the short-sleeved dress of her summer uniform. Instantly, Elodie forgave him, stepping up onto her tiptoes to give him a hug. As Krum disappeared into the crowd looking for Hermione, Elodie gave Fred, George and a rather surprised Ron and Harry hugs before being pulled over to the carriage by Fleur, promises to write to the twins still fresh in her mind.

She watched with a smile on her face until Hogwarts castle was well out of sight, a sigh escaping her lips as she relaxed in her seat, fingers curled around the red material.

Elodie might not have achieved eternal glory, but she had the stupid Gryffindor tie. 

And suddenly eternal glory seemed overrated. 

END OF ACT ONE