🌻Chapter 50

🌻

Finally, the day of the engagement party and wedding arrived.

They'd arrived at the estate in Dorsett the day before but Gulf couldn't sleep a wink in the canopied king-size bed. Ever since the day Yaya had visited them, his relationship with Mew had hit an all-time low. Up until then, Gulf had been ignoring Mew one-sidedly, but now Mew was clearly refusing to speak to him too. Refusing to even look at him.

Even Mild seemed to have noticed the nasty state of their relationship, but he didn't dare to interfere. No doubt because he knew that after the wedding, the two of them would have no further contract with each other.

The party was to take place in the bar. Its luxury could rival any hotel in London. And thankfully, Yaya was not in attendance.

"It's almost time Kana," Mild interrupted Gulf, who was making the rounds greeting the guests, and the two climbed the stairs together to a small parlor.

"I never thought the day would come," he said as they walked. His eyes narrowed and the corners of his mouth twisted into a bitter smile. It was a very unpleasant look.

"Is there something bothering you?" Gulf asked him.

"I was just thinking about how much Mew hates the aristocratic life, and now he's going to secure not only position, but his fortune as well." Mild stopped speaking suddenly, then shrugged. "You had to hear this eventually."

"I suppose it isn't a good thing," Gulf said.

Under Gulf's earnest gaze, Mild began again, "Maybe not. But when I first met him, the guy was a picture-perfect honor student. Watching him from the sidelines, he looked like the perfect son, following the path his parents had laid out for him without question. But he had some warped ideas. He felt humiliated by the privileges people gave him."

"Humiliated?" Gulf echoed.

Mild nodded. "That's right. He has a really immature sense of right and wrong. So he tried to figure out how he wanted to live for himself, despite his privilege. That's where it started, when his parents died. A title and massive fortune fell into his lap against his wishes. Althought there's the condition of marriage attached to the fortune. But he's suffered his share of blows."

"You're saying his huge fortune is a burden?" Gulf asked.

Again Mild nodded. "Yes, I am. Everything's been given to him since he was a child. He's never had to work for anything. Would you call that happiness? I'm from a working class family. Even though I went through college, I can't change my birth. But when I met Mew, he knew that I was happy. I had a ton of things I wanted to do. That's what it means to be alive. And he doesn't have that."

Mild smiled at the confused look on Gulf's face.

"Mild, are you...?" Gulf began.

"Don't say another word. It'll make me feel horrible," Mild said, smiling.

TBC