👦Chapter 5

👦

Mild entered a wealthy housing district in London, summoned there by his friend. Even here, the most striking building was the five-story apartment his friend owned.

In this building, each floor had three independent apartments. Each apartment cost more than Mild would ever earn in his entire lifetime. His friend, on the other hand, was staying on the top floor. The man had combined the three apartments into one. What's more, he had bought the apartments on the floors below so that he wouldn't be disturbed by his neighbors. That was why Mild could see no lights illuminating the other floors from the outside. His friends also owned a massive estate and manor house on the outskirts of London. He had inherited all of it from his parents. He had never had to work for anything, his position made evrything available to him.

Mild, who had nothing, was very jealous of the wealth his friend had inherited. But he had never wanted to trade places with him because Mild knew that even though his friend was young, and his position and wealth gave him everything he wanted, the man was not happy.

Mild had first met his friend Mew at the boarding school.

England is still a strongly class-based society. Mild's working-class parents had not welcomed the news that he had been accepted to a boarding school. They believed that any education beyond the requirement was unfitting their position, and that working-class people should lead working-class lives. Mild had earned the money to pay for the school and teachers spoke to his parents on his behalf, and so he had been finally allowed to attend. But all the other children had come from positions of privilege. Whenever Mild spoke, his classmates would mock his lower-class accent. Even the teachers smirked when Mild said something.

Mew had been in a completely opposite position. Even in their school, he had been special. He was the heir to a corporation with offices around the world, and would one day inherit his father's title and incredible fortune. There had always been a crowd of people around him, and he'd always shone in their center.

On one side, the favorite son of a born aristocrat and on the other, a working-class kid whose name was as good as mud. When they first met, Mild would never dreamed that Mew would treat him kindly.

Mew had been the one to cultivate the friendship.

Mild remembered being terrified at having to respond to his perfect Queen's English pronunciation. His lower-class accent had come out stronger than ever.

But Mew hadn't laughed at him like the other students. He had been the picture-perfect honor student. And he had loathed his surroundings, which loved him too easily.

TBC