Locked Away Memories

Start from the beginning

"Great, just fucking great," Michonne grumbled. "He could be miles away by now." Michonne stepped closer to me and lowered her voice. "You know him better than anyone here, so I need you to think and think hard. Where would he go?" I thought about Georgia, our plans to move once the babies were born when Negan and I were still together, but would he go there without telling me? Then again, why would he go there knowing that I had no intentions of getting back together with him? Maybe he jut ran free...or maybe...

"I know where he's goin'."

"Where?"

"Rick drilled it into his head that there was nothin' out there for 'em anymore. Negan's a stubborn jackass and won't believe shit until he sees it for himself."

"So?"

"He's goin' home."

"The Sanctuary...that idiot would seriously go there?"

"It's obvious, I know, but I don't think he's gonna stay for long. Once he sees that Rick was tellin' the truth, he's gonna bolt."

"I need to get to the Sanctuary—"

"No, ya need to set up a patrol on the roads, search for any signs of 'em."

"What about the Sanctuary?"

"I'll go."

"Michaela—"

"I'm the only one he'll listen to, Michonne, and ya know it. If anyone's got a chance of bringin' 'em back alive, it's me." Michonne stepped back and averted her eyes, even she knew I was right.

"And what about Harper? What do I tell her?"

"Tell 'er the truth. Negan took 'er necklace and left and that I'm bringin' 'em back."

"And you will come back?" I rolled my eyes and scoffed as I reached for my doorknob.

"Do I look like Daryl to you?"

~~

The walk back to the Sanctuary was, at least, a day's worth of walking including breaks. I wanted to take a horse, but even I knew that Negan would see it and head in the opposite direction. Michonnne gathered me some supplies from the pantry and infirmary while I packed some things at home. I was thankful that Judith had come over to distract Harper, leaving me free to pack without the constant questions or her trying to keep me from leaving. She was in good hands and she knows I'd never leave her. As I've told her many times before, she is my life, the very breath that I breathe, and the only way to keep me from her is if they kill me.

Instead of walking, Michonne had me take Lafayette back to Hilltop and then I could walk from there, seeing that it's considerably closer to the Sanctuary. I was instructed not to tell anyone where I was going, but she also made a point to mention to not kill Daryl in the process.

Lafayette galloped at full speed towards the Sanctuary, avoiding any walkers that we came across on the road. I couldn't hear any whispers over the sounds of his hooves hitting the road, then again, it was the last thing I wanted to hear. The whispers...why do they whisper? Why did that one tell me to run? I let out a loud whistle as I approached Hilltop's gates and they opened instantly. As we approached the stalls, I climbed off and removed Lafayette's reins as a stable boy helped me with the saddle.

"Hey," MJ smiled as he jogged over to me. "You're back."

"Very briefly, I can assure ya," I smirked. "It's a pit stop."

"Oh? Where are ya goin'?"

"On a little trip."

"Where?"