Chapter Twenty-Seven: Family

Start from the beginning

Adrien nodded as he nervously stepped inside, "no need to be shy now son," Tom assured him

"Where's Marinette?" Adrien asked as he looked around the room

"Oh she must be upstairs," Sabine replied, "I'll go let her know you're here. Why don't you just relax on the couch over there, unless you wanted to go get her..."

"Sure why not?" Adrien shrugged, "I'll see what's she's up to," after all it's been a while since he last entered her room as Adrien.

Adrien walked up and looked around her room, there he saw that Marinette was working on a design. "Hey, Marinette, what's up?"

"Oh hey Adrien," the bluenette smiled as she turned towards him, "would you like to help me as I work on my next design?"

"Yeah, that would be fun," Adrien nodded smiling back at her

The two continued to work on the design until Sabine called them down for dinner. Adrien was nervous; he had brunch with the couple before but that was as Chat Noir, plus his only reason for going was to politely reject Marinette whom he was now in love with. He wasn't used to eating with other people, much less a family.

"So Adrien," Tom began, sensing the nerves of the boy sitting across from him, "how are you enjoying school so far?"

Adrien blinked, surprised that someone, much less an adult would ask him such a question, he never had such conversations with his father, most of their conversations went through Nathalie anyways. "I'm really enjoying it, sir, I was homeschooled until last year so it's been great to get out, meet friends and get a real-life experience."

"Again with the formalities," Tom chucked

"Sorry," Adrien blushed "I guess I'm just used to it, it's what my father expects of me."

"It's alright," Sabine assured him, "it takes time for everything."

Marinette nodded as she turned to smile at the boy beside her, "I've been encouraging him to open up and be himself, but it's a work in progress."

"Anyways sweetie how was your day?" Sabine asked her daughter

"Oh it was pretty funny," Marinette giggled as she told them about the incident between Felix and Chloé

Adrien felt some tension go away as he looked at the loving family enjoying a nice meal and having a casual conversation. He couldn't help but wonder, is this what family should truly be like?

"Is everything alright dear?" Sabine asked as Adrien was seemingly staring into space

"Oh yeah sorry," Adrien apologized, "I guess I never realized how wonderful it could be to have a true family. My mother died over a year ago, and my father well, he just was never really the same since then, plus he's never been as involved in my life as my mother once was."

"Well son, you're welcome here anytime," Tom replied with a gentle smile, "besides you two will be working together a lot from what I hear so I expect to see more of you."

"Thank you uh, Tom," Adrien finally managed, "I'd like to come over for dinner with you guys more often if that's okay

"There we go," Tom smiled with a wink, "of course you can, our door is always open for you."

After dinner, the two head back up to her room, and Marinette suddenly received a phone call from Nadja Chamack.

"Hi Mrs. Chamack," Marinette cheerfully greeted the reporter

"Hi Marinette," Nadja replied frantically over the phone, "I know this is super last minute but would you be able to take care of Manon tomorrow? I have a last-minute event I need to attend."