C H A P T E R - F I V E

Start from the beginning

"I need to know.. has she ever been nervous about you touching her? Scared with you when you bathe her? Is she uncomfortable around men? Woman?"

My mind travels to any possible scenario but I can't think of any.

"No, she's been fine with me. Nothing ever concerned me." I swallow the lump in my throat.

I hate this.

Carlo nods.

• • •

My foot shakes my body while my leg repeatedly taps the ground. I've never been this nervous in my life before.

Carlo should be back any moment with the results. Ellie fell asleep not too long ago.

My hand subconsciously plays with her hair. I'm sure to be gentle, not rough. I don't want to wake her up.

My ears could have perked up if I were a dog. I hear Carlo outside in the hallway, arguing with someone. I get up, sadly retreating my hand from Ellie's hair. The voice gets louder— shit.

I know that voice too well.

"NO!" That goddamn voice.

I'm standing beside the door, I can hear them perfectly.

"What?" Carlo asks, sounding shocked.

"Carlo, would you just fix my son. He got gunpowder in his ear while I wasn't looking! He can't fucking hear." My papà shouts sternly.

This isn't good.

"I CAN'T HEAR!" Marcello screams, clearly with no perception of how loud he's being.

My head whips towards Ellie when I hear her stir, crunching the wax paper. Please don't wake up.

He better not wake up my kid.

"There's something I need to take care of. I'll be a short few minutes, please.. give me some time."

I know Carlo's words won't work. My father waits for no one.

I look to Ellie.

I walk over and place my hand to hers. There's a possibility that my secret can be leaked in just a matter of seconds.

Damn Marcello.

I thought he was banned from the gun room years ago. I guess I really have been gone for awhile.

"What could be keeping you busy? My sons are home and you only work for us." Papà's voice is clear. The only reason he isn't ripping Carlo's head off is because Carlo has worked with our family for decades. Papà and Carlo have been good friends for years.

The doorknob rumbles. I hesitate to let go of Ellie's hand, ready to go to the door.

"MY EAR!"

Idiot.

"I—"

"Are one of my sons keeping something from me?"