Saturday Night

Niki.

"Baby Doll, are you ready?" Andy asks from the kitchen.

I flatten my mom's old dress. It's plain, with just two inch straps, skirt to my mid-thigh, and it's faded black. I pull my gown on too and rest my cap on my head.

"Yeah," I call back. I leave the bathroom and walk down into the kitchen. Andy is leaning against the kitchen counter, messing with his phone. As my Creepers hit the tile he looks up at me and smiles.

"God, you're gorgeous," Andy says, slipping his phone in his pocket, a goofy grin on his face. He picks me up as he hugs me and my feet kick a little, but he sets me down again and kisses me once.

"Are you ready to go?" he asks, picking up the keys to his car.

"Yeah," I answer.

It doesn't take us very long to get to get to my school. This last month leading up to graduation has been tough, but fortunately I stayed on top of my homework for tour so studying for finals wasn't as difficult as last year. Coming home to Andy every night helped too. It was a little more grueling because of the sleep schedule I put myself on for tour versus the one I have for school, and Andy certainly didn't like waking up at six in the morning every day when my alarm went off, but we've managed and now it's time for the payoff.

My family meets me in front of the gym. I get hugs from everyone, including my father (although we haven't really spoken since I moved out), and the girls showed up as well as CC and Ashley. I wasn't expecting so many people. I take pictures with everyone in my family, with Andy, with the girls, and with both bands. I even take pictures with the kids at my school. Most of them do it for memories, but some do it because they want to have a picture with a "famous person." Some people.

Finally, it's time to get in line. I let my family go to the gym and get all the way to the back of the line where the "z"s are for Zandy. I'm the last person, of course, but I don't mind. The girl in front of me talks to someone on the phone the entire time. As I wait, I zip up my gown and readjust my cap.

We finally move forward and into the gym. The stupid graduation song is playing as we file in, the sounds of our friends and family talking loudly behind us. It takes about ten minutes before the ceremony actually begins.

Forty-five minutes pass. A motivational speaker makes a speech, my principal makes a speech, the head of the school board makes a speech, and finally it's time for the valedictorian, who I can stand a little more because at least it's a student. It's cheesy and sentimental, but she did say "shit" in part of her sentence so we all cheer her on because of the profanity. We'll cheer at anything by now.

Soon, the applause becomes continuous as one by one people receive their diplomas. My row is last and gets ours about half an hour after it started, and when I receive mine my whole family cheers and smiles and waves. My principal hugs me before I head back to my seat.

"Graduates, please stand," he says into the mike.

I remain standing as I find my seat. My whole life has been leading up to this.

"Move your tassels from one side to the other."

We all do so.

"I now show you the graduated class of twenty-twelve! Graduates, I wish you good luck in your every en devour!"

All of the graduates lift their hats up and throw them in the air. I do too, just 'cause I'm a sap, then I catch it as everyone starts dispersing. It's a mess of people hugging and cheering and crying and it's basically just a big stew of sweat and tears. I squeeze by most groups and just smile at them all, stopping occasionally for pictures or hugs and compliments.