#22

Essence

The sunlight streamed through the blinds, gently waking me from my restless slumber. I groan not being able to lie down any longer.

As I sat on the edge of the bed, it felt like hours had passed by as I pondered life's twists and turns. I contemplated every decision I had made in the last month thinking of each thing I could've done differently.

If I stay in here any longer I think I might just lose it.

Now desifering my options for the next hour I felt some restlessness settle in. Most people were still asleep; sneaking out should be easy enough, except for the guards. With determination, I rose from the bed, the chill of the floor sending shivers up my spine. Hastily slipping on socks and shoes.

I cautiously opened the door sending a creaking sound echoing through the hallway, "shush," I say immediately face palming myself. I'm going insane.

Walking down the corridor, I ensured no one was stirring before reaching the front door. The guard, once imposing, now appeared harmless in his slumber as he sat down in a chair with his head against the wall. Holding my breath I tiptoed past him, exhaling a nervous laugh at my stealth when I passed him.

Slapping a hand over my mouth I roll my eyes at myself. Shit, shit, I look back seeing him scrunch his nose inhaling deeply. Before he could open his eyes mine widened. I freeze for a few seconds before quickly walking out of the door silently closing it behind me and running down the hallway.

Arriving at the bar, deserted at this early hour, I approached the door cautiously. My eyes caught sight of a small white box, presumably an alarm system. Pressing the first button, I was startled by the demand for a password.

My mouth drops open, frantically look around to see if anyone heard I close my eyes realizing I am still very much alone. "Wake up Essence," I whisper blaming my dumbness for being half asleep.

Frantically, I attempted various names, hoping for a stroke of luck. When they all read up as Incorrect I sigh. "Fuck," I swear. Biting my lip I write both Atlas' and Brianna's names conjoined.

"Ding," my heart races at the sound of success, as I open the door slowly, relief floods through me, I step outside, greeted by the crisp morning air. I close my eyes indulging in the smell and breeze.

As quietly as possible I slid the metal fence after unlinking it thanking god I was on the other side of the latch. I locked the door behind me knowing that someone would be in the clean the restaurant soon, it would allow me to come in without any issues, I just hoped no one would go looking for me so early.

Once the cold air hits my face when I walk out fully my neck hairs stand up, I close my eyes taking in a breath of fresh air and enjoying it nonetheless.

I walk down the pathway stuffing my hands into the pockets of Killian's hoodie I still had on his smell still lingering around. I'm about to pass the line of stores following after the restaurant until my mind stops me. I better stay in the area.

Turning the corner I soon find myself in an alleyway it's mildly dark from the sunrise but at the end, I can see some sunlight shining through. I'll just do a lap. Putting my hood up I slightly shiver at the change of temperature that brushes through me from the shade.

Suddenly halting my steps, I heard voices coming from around the corner, it was the next turn I was made to take but I couldn't get myself to walk it. I had never been weary about running into strangers, I could walk past anyone and not think twice about it, but suddenly being aware of the mafia and how criminals could be quite literally anywhere, I couldn't be less cautious.