October 10, 2014

Here we go again,

Music blared over the speakers of the compound. Tony was throwing a party, for what I didn't know. We threw a lot of parties. They had started to blur together.

Say goodbye to my heart tonight,

Natasha and I were dancing between groups of people, drinks in hand. It was getting late, and I was very drunk. Despite the cold outside, my skin burned with alcohol, neon lights soaking me in washes of color. Nat looked amazing tonight. Men kept asking to dance with her. She ignored them, giving me an eye roll every time.

Hush, hush, the world is quiet,

The floors thundered with the bass, and my eyes caught sight of Bucky who was sitting at the bar. He didn't look happy. He was talking to someone, anger knitting his brows together. I couldn't see who it was he was with, the crowd obscured my view.

It's us that made this mess,

I grabbed Natasha's hand, weaving through the mass of people. Blonde hair flicked over a shoulder, Sharon Carter sat in a barstool, twirling strands of hair in her fingers and looking up at Bucky. His face was set in a scowl. He was waiting on drinks, fists tight in fury.

I won't sleep tonight,

Natasha laughed behind me, "I'll let you handle that one." I looked back to her, as I spun, my vision clouded. I was so drunk. She walked off into the crowd.

I stumbled towards the bar, practically throwing myself on Bucky. He flinched, not realizing it was me, but his lips pulled into a grin as soon as he did. His eyes hooded, "Hey, doll, I was waiting on our next round when I ran into our old friend. Well," he huffed a laugh, no longer smiling, "she really ran into me."

Sharon didn't smile at me. Her eyes looked me up and down, "Stella. What a surprise."

My hand clapped her shoulder, "Hey, girl! Who invited you?"

A murderous look flashed in her eyes, "A coworker."

"Oh, well, shouldn't you go find them?" I gave her my best innocent eyes, a fake smile on my lips, "They must be lonely without you."

Bucky chuckled behind me, and Sharon's eyes glanced at him. She scowled, hopping from her seat and shoving past me. I turned to him, "What did she say to you?"

He shook his head, turning back to look at that bartender who was still making our drinks, "Wanted to know if I would leave with her."

Anger shot up my spine. I was too drunk for this. He winked at me, "I told her I had other plans."

Deciding to drop it for now, I sighed, "What did you order me?"

A devilish look passed through Bucky's face, masked with innocence, "A key lime margarita." Tequila, is all I heard.

It would be that kind of night.

I stared at him, "I'm already drunk as hell."

"Good," his voice was deep, rumbling in my ears.

The bartender slid our drinks to us, apologizing for the wait. Bucky nodded towards the pool tables. Steve, Sam, Clint, and a couple SHIELD agents were playing. I laughed, Steve and Clint were so bad at it. Natasha was standing near Clint, yelling when he missed his shot.

We walked towards them, inspecting the game. Sam was boastful as ever, apparently winning. He slapped Steve's back, "We can't all be perfect." Sam looked up, spotting Bucky and I and winking in our direction.