May 22, 2017

It was the thundering laugh of Thor Odinson that brought me back from my daydreaming.

He was sitting on a swinging bench Steve and Bucky had built last summer, Bruce was nestled under his arm and nursing a glass of red wine that swung as they did. They were drunk, obviously so, but we had all indulged quite a bit that evening.

A lazy fire sat between us as we lounged after a dinner together. Crickets sang in the distant forests of the island, and the gentle lull of ocean waves was nearly enough to pull me to sleep. My head rested on Bucky's shoulder as I listened to Thor's Asgardian whimsy. Something about trolls and the bifrost, the Heroes Three, Sif, and glory. I wasn't really paying attention. My thoughts were fixated on a certain dark haired prince that seemed to be in a particularly moody state this evening.

Loki sat in a rocking chair, fingers laced together as he stared up at the stars. His thoughts were closed, but I could tell something weighed on him. He was quiet these days. Not in his typical angst, but a contemplative, perhaps even fearful way.

He probably sensed my staring with the way his eyes peeked open and met mine dead-on.

We watched each other for a moment before he stood and stretched. "That is a fascinating story, brother. It was even better hearing it for the fifty-third time. My lady," he said, stepping closer to me with his left forearm dipped before my eyes, "may I have a moment?"

I nodded, looping my fingers around his elbow and standing on wobbly feet. Perhaps I had enchanted that wine too well.

Bucky's hands steadied me, drifting down my hips before smiling up at me. "Don't be too long; the cakes will be done soon," he said.

"We'll return shortly," Loki answered with a curt nod of his head.

He pulled me along, away from the party and vibrant chatter of our friends and lovers. My feet hit the familiar path Bucky had built; it led down to the beach and those sleepy waves.

Night had settled over the island, and Artemis' silver face glowed high in the sky, spinning amongst my bright stars that dipped and wheeled as the universe moved lazily through itself.

Loki kicked his polished shoes off along with his socks and let his toes sink into the sand. He sighed, staring off to the horizon, fixated on something I could not see.

Uneasiness grew within me, so I clutched my wine a bit tighter in my hand and followed Loki down to the shoreline where glittering salt water met our toes happily. I watched his loose, dark curls dance with the gentle breeze, and his tight shoulders jump as my fingers ghosted up his spine.

"Something is bothering you," I said plainly.

I caught the rise of his cheeks as he gave a sarcastic grin, like the Cheshire Cat bitterly knowing more than anyone else. "Yes," he drawled, "have you realized we've been looking for these infinity stones for years now? Yet they've evaded us time and time again." He sighed softly and turned to face me then. "Tell me, goddess, do you feel it too? That tension in the air, as if the universe is on the verge of snapping in half."

My eyes stared at him. Yes, I wanted to answer, but fear held me tight. If I admitted to feeling it too, it'd give power to that dread that sank through my stomach. But I knew he was right. Something was wrong with our world, our entire universe. A hair out of place, a tingle up the back of my neck, a ringing in my ears.

"Yes,"I answered softly. "But what do we do about it? We don't even know what's wrong, what we're actually looking for. The stones, yes, but the universe is vast and our powers only extend so far. Loki," I pleaded, taking a step forward, "this is out of our control."