thirty-two

⋆ thirty-two ⋆

⋆ thirty-two ⋆

The moment I can feel my fingers again, the feeling electrifying as it slowly goes down to my toes, I realise my body's aching. Aching... but when the pain hits my leg I give a quiet whimper, not knowing why. Did I bash it in my sleep? My eyes flicker open and I groan, rubbing at my eyes before trying to pull myself in a seated position.

That is, till there's a beeping and I press my palms against my ears, trying to block out the sound. My eyes are squeezed shut, but the moment people rush into the room and start poking and prodding at me I panic, breaths heavy and painful.

Till a hand holds mine. My eyes snap open at that and I look up frantically, only to realise that it's a face I feel like I haven't seen in a long time.

Dad.

His hand feels coarse, unfamiliar, but it's warm and I hold onto it. I swear I catch sight of a smile. But that's when I look around, it taking a second to recognise the whitewashed walls, the beeping machines, the smell of disinfectant...

"Holy shit."

"Language," Dad mutters with a slight shake of the head, but I'm too preoccupied with trying to figure out why the hell I'm here. That, and why Dad's scolding me on my words when he literally adopts swearing in every fight.

"Mr Connolly, may I speak to you outside?" a man in a lab coat says, and for a moment black spots appear in my vision. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to get rid of the colours dancing around behind my closed eyelids.

That is, till I realise the hand's gone and I panic, eyes flying open as Dad starts heading towards the door. "No– Dad–"

"I'll be right back, baby," Dad tells me softly, giving the slightest smile. "Just need to check on your progress with the doctor." And before I can ask what the hell he's on about, the door clicks as it shuts, and I'm left all alone.

Why the hell am I in a hospital?

Spotting a newspaper on Dad's seat, I bite my lip before pressing the buttons to set my bed up so I can sit, reaching out for the paper, only for there to be a flash of pain in my chest. I flinch, then realise with wide eyes that there are bandages around my wrist. Both wrists. Tugging on my hospital gown, I peek under it, only to realise there are bandages just under my collarbone, too. What the hell happened?

The moment I read the article on the newspaper, though, it all comes rushing back. The warehouse. The message. Those four idiots that had no clue what they were doing. Geez, if I ever kidnapped someone then I'd make sure there's someone at every exit along with the roof, because come on, if Spider-Man is coming then be sure to–

Why am I planning a future kidnapping?

Remembering the gunshot, I pull the blanket up and look under, only to groan at the sight of the cast on my leg. Great. Now I have to lug something around along with my clumsy self. How am I supposed to patrol with Spider-Man now?