twenty-eight

⋆ twenty-eight ⋆

⋆ twenty-eight ⋆

I haven't seen Peter for two days. Three, if you count when he went missing after the trip that never happened. Three days and five years if you count the time we've apparently snapped out of existence. But no matter the stretch of time, it feels like eons, and I find myself pedalling harder to get to school.

Ky was cautious about sending me to school, holding onto me for a good ten minutes this morning, as if I was going to disappear for another five years or something. It was a little irritating, but I just hugged him back, knowing he needed the support. It might have been no time at all for me, but it was a long time for him.

I called May this morning, unsure as to whether Peter wanted to go to school with me or not, but it turns out he already left. It broke me that he didn't say anything, not even sent a message, but I knew he needed time. I know that. May said he's not the same, that he's acting strange, and it's a lot stranger around all those odd people.

Right. Apparently their apartment was taken over when they blipped back, which caused a mess. Long story short, the family are letting them take the guest room in the meanwhile as May tries to find a new place, and fast. Some of their things are in black bags or boxes under beds, the family unsure as to what to do with it, but for the most part they've lost a lot of their stuff.

I can't even imagine how heartbroken I'd be if I came back after five years, only to find my world was turned upside-down.

When I finally get to school, it's early. I usually head early with Peter so I can get everything ready for the reports, so the school is silent, anticipating the coming onslaught of students due to happen in half an hour.

I know where Peter's locker is, and when I turn onto the corridor, I catch sight of him going through his locker. There's barely anyone else here. Slowly, my heart softens as I head over to the boy I thought died, the boy I was so, so worried about, and I come to a stop beside him, keeping my voice gentle. "Hey."

He stiffens at the sound of my voice before slowly turning around, eyes widening at the sight of me, and my breath hitches in my throat. His face is cut up, bruised, and his eyes are red and puffy from constant crying. No wonder May always said he was sleeping – he must've tired himself out with it.

A slight forced smile twitches on my lips, eyes softening, and I gently touch his cheek. "Peter, I–"

But he doesn't give me the chance to say anything before he crashes into my body, burying his face in my neck and his arms wrapped tightly around me.

I want to talk to him. I want to see the bruises on his face and kiss each one. I want to ask what happened, why he disappeared, what space was like, how worried he got me, but I don't.

Because I heard there was a battle, and I heard that Tony died, and I know he needs time to himself but what I said to Ky comes back to me. That Danielle needed him, and I think Peter needs me, too. Not to talk, but just to know that someone's there for him when he wants them.