fourteen

⋆ fourteen ⋆

⋆ fourteen ⋆

It's only a few hours that I do on the very last morning of the summer, and it feels so nostalgic. While Ky's back and Dad's back to locking himself in his room, the last week's been tense, and working at the bodega's been useful to escape from my thoughts. But with school starting tomorrow, today feels wistfully sentimental. After all, this summer feels different than usual. In fact, it's definitely been different.

It's not even lunch when I pull my apron off, knowing I had a shorter day today so I could relax, and Mr Delmar seems the most downcast I've ever seen him. "It's been a great summer having you working here," he tells me as I hang it up on a peg at the back, pulling my name tag off with a sense of finality.

"It's been great working here," I reply with a smile, and it really has. Not what I expected at all. I'd continue, but with everything going to happen at school, I'm about to be swamped once more in essays, schoolwork and Homecoming organisation, and I have no time for a job.

I know Ky and Dad have spoken and Ky's trying to help Dad find a new job, but my faith in that is gone, in all honesty. I shouldn't care. But with all the lies in our family threatening to tear us apart, I just want to give up. I've spoken and made up with Ky, understanding why he didn't tell me, although it still hurts. But Dad... that's a completely different matter.

I hold the name tag out to Mr Delmar but he shakes his head, pushing it back towards me. "Keep it. And feel free to work here any time you want."

"I'll definitely be asking again during the Winter break," I nod with a grin, and I can see him become visibly happier.

The moment I head out to the main area of the shop, Alexandros grabs my hand, pulling me out of the shop without warning, and I have to yell a bye to Mr Delmar as I leave before we're outside.

That's when I crash straight into a body, sending me sprawling against the concrete. I wince, having scraped my palms, but the moment I catch sight of Peter Parker my eyes go wide. "I'm so sorry, it was an accident!"

Peter laughs quietly to himself, shaking his head and jumping to his feet. "It... It wasn't your fault, it was my fault, I wasn't paying attention. I, uh..." He gives a nervous chuckle before looking at me, holding his hand out to help me up.

I'm just about to take it before there's an irritated groan and a darker hand in mine instead, hoisting me to my feet. "Xar, come on! We've wasted far too much time already!"

"Too much time for what?" I huff irritatedly, sending an apologetic look to Peter as I quickly brush myself off, turning to my grinning bestie.

"The last day of summer! Duh! Come on, we need ice cream!"

Before I can say anything in response he's grabbed my hand again and is pulling me down the pavement, and if I go any slower then my arm is probably going to come out of its socket. Instead all I can do is twist around, yelling, "Hi, Peter! Bye, Peter!" He just grins, giving me a wave until we're out of sight.