The Aftermath (P.2)

Start from the beginning

I stayed like this for a few minutes, until Bolin came back with a relieved sigh, butler in tow. The younger brother turned to the butler with his arms spread, and the butler dutifully raised a perfume bottle. In classic Bolin comicness, he continued to turn, the butler hitting a different angle with the scented spray.

"Bolin, leave the poor butler alone!" I chided with a laugh, the look on the butler's face one of concealed anger. I was still laughing when a blur of blue went bounding past, Korra running for the door.

"You're leaving? But I-I thought ..." Asami started as she turned after the retreating Avatar, only to be cut off.

"Uh, sorry! I forgot, I'm supposed to airsit, I mean babybend, I-I mean babysit the airbender kids," Korra fumbled her words, spinning around to face us all while walking backwards. "See you later!"

And with that, she spun on her heel and ran, springing down the front steps while whistling for Naga. The four three of us shared a questioning look, before I simply shrugged and we went on with the day.

XXX

It was around midday the next day when there was a forceful knock on the front door, snapping the relaxed atmosphere that had been hanging over the downstairs library, the four of us climbing to our feet and making for the lobby as a butler swept past.

The gargantuan front door was pulled open to reveal Chief Beifong, Tenzin and Korra standing on the front porch. Lin pushed her way inside, sending a glare around the lobby and catching sight of me from where I stood with Mako and Asami.

"Kenna, with me," Lin ordered, making for the grand stair with Tenzin close behind. I shared a look with Mako, my eyes wide as I followed after the commanding Chief of Police. She led down a short corridor, past the lady's powder room and stopping by the door to Hiroshi's study.

Tenzin knocked on the study door, and there was a muffed call to enter. Lin pushed the door open with malice, striding in as Tenzin urged me in as second. Hiroshi's eyes landed on me, and there was a subtle shift within them, a glint of disgust and rage flickering for but a moment before it was gone.

"Ah, Chief Beifong, Councilman Tenzin, how may I help you on this fine day?" Hiroshi Sato asked politely, that look of hate completely smothered by his usual niceties, which I was beginning to think of as nothing but a mask.

"Mr. Sato, we just have a few follow-up questions for you," the Police Chief answered coolly, her arms crossed as she stood before Hiroshi's oak desk, hip jutted to the side. Mr Sato opened his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted by the study door being flung open and Asami striding in.

"My father is innocent. Just because we're not benders doesn't mean we support those awful Equalists," she hissed decisively, shooting Lin, Tenzin and I looks of betrayal and ice. Behind her, Mako followed with Korra trailing behind, her head hung and shoulders slumped.

"Equalists?" Mr Sato exclaimed innocently, Asami moving to stand by her father's side. "Is that what this is about? I can assure you I have nothing to do with those radicals."

"Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about, Korra," Mako spat, hardly trying to stay civil in such a tense situation. He turned to me suddenly, his jaw clenched and eyes ablaze. "And you, Kenna. I never expected you to go along with something this ridiculous so easily!"

"Calm down, Mako," I growled lowly, stepping forward and rising to my full height, knowing full well that all eyes were on me. "I knew nothing of this until this morning, same time as you. So, I would much appreciate it if you got off my back for acting ridiculously when you're making yourself out to be a complete buffoon."