Are We Going Home Now?

Start from the beginning

"..do we do?" Newt asks.

"Why are you leaving me out of it?" I snap.

"Ms. Annoying is back." Minho rolls his eyes.

"The Grivers are there. Did you hear it?" Thomas asks me.

"They are singing in the freaking eighth tone. Hard not to hear." I say.

Minho tiptoes to the edge and tilts forward, peeping and coming back quickly.

"There are dozens of them, like all waiting for us. Like they're about to have a Thanksgiving feast and we are turkey or somethin'."

"Dozens?! Why?! Aren't there supposed to be just eight?" I hiss.

"Let me ask the Creators and get back to you, okay?"

"Minho, calm down! You are one of our Keepers, get you shit together!" Thomas hisses.

Newt shrugs, "We know what we signed up for." But his voice trembles. I slip my hand into his.

"So we need to make a new plan." Thomas says.

We all try to brainstorm as quietly as possible when Alby's eyes suddenly widens, "Distraction." He whispers. He walks slowly towards the Cliff as if hypnotized.

"Alby! No!" Newt yells reaching out to him but Alby only increases his speed, bolting towards the Grivers. "No! No! Come back!" Newt yells, his voice breaking and chocking in a sob.

Alby just runs in front of the Grivers and throw his spear at one of their's head, but the Grivers warily deflects it, using it's metallic claw. The Grivers tear onto him, Alby is screaming. Newt rushes to help him but Thomas holds him back before he can go too far.

"No! Let go!" Newt screams, struggling against his hold. Minho helps Thomas, tugging Newt back.

"Are you nuts!" Thomas yells, "There's nothing you can do!"

I wince as I hold Chuck, pressing his ear against my chest tightly and clamping other ear with my palm. I struggle not to let my tears fall down, taking deep breaths.

After a few moments, his screams stop.

Alby. He's dead.

"I can believe it." Newt whispers, his voice hoarse from crying. "I just can't believe he did that."

Minho places a hand on his shoulder. We can't easy what he did. We have only one job now. Fight the Grievers and make way for Teresa and Chuck. We keep fighting until you both about for us, okay?" He looks at Chuck and Teresa.

Thomas tightens his grip on his spear and machete. "Hopefully, some of the Grivers will go dormant for sometime. Less to deal with."

Newt looks at the both of them with disgust and revulsion. "How can you two be so heartless?"

"What the hell do you want us to?" Minho hisses, "Dress up for a funeral and get him a burial?" Newt doesn't response as he keeps string the Grivers with a hollow look in his eyes.

"We cant let his sacrifice get wasted okay? It isn't a news that he didn't want to go back to his old life. And he sacrificed himself for us and look, the Grievers aren't attacking. Maybe it worked. So we will be heartless if we don't use this opportunity- an insult to his sacrifice."

Newt shrugs, and I walk to him, slipping my hand into his. He looks up at me and I almost cry at his vulnerability. Tear stains trail down his cheek, "Newt, babe, can you help us?"

Newt's chin trembles as he nods. I tiptoe and place a kiss on his temple. "Its gonna get easier." I whisper to him.

Death doesn't ever let's you be okay. Once you've seen death, you have been broken. Death leaves a permanent mark in your heart. Engraving it's toxic presence on you soul. So it's pointless to say 'its gonna be okay' because it is never going to be. But, it does get easier day by day.

I nod at Minho as Newt tightly holds his spear.

"Lets trample them!" Minho shouts and we break into a run.

We run faster and faster, trying to get to the Griever Hole before the Grivers get us. Thomas guards Teresa and Chuck towards the Griver Hole while the rest of us turn back to fight.

I mount my bow on the string, enjoying feeling of the slender bow in my fingertips. I release it and immediately fish another. By the time my arrow hits it's mark, I've already mounted another one.

"Addie! You need to go with them!" Newt cries over the noise of Grivers versus Gladers war.

"What? That was not the plan!"

"I don't care. My first plan is to save you!"

"I care! I will not leave you to fight these fuckers off alone! Teresa and Chuck are enough."

"You will get me killed one day!" Newt shouts as he fights the Griver along side me.

"You should have thought twice before asking me to be your girlfriend!" I shout back at him, releasing another arrow at the eye of the Grivers. I watch it scream madly and I shoot another on its other eye. Blinded with anger and sheer pain, the Griver flails thrashes around, before running straight towards us at maddening speed.

I and Newt slide out of the way. The Griever topples down the edge, a final cry of defeat echoing through the air.

"This is my second kill." I wink at the boy beside me, who rolls his eyes, mumbling about being a show off.

"By the way, you asked me to be your boyfriend." He says as he helps me up to standing.

"Minor details." I shrug off and mount another arrow on my boy.

We are about fifteen Gladers and Grivers are four, now, yet we were loosing. The boys are being thrashed around, beaten, cut and stung.

"Hit the eyes!" I yell at the boys.

"You are the one with shucking arrows!" Winston yells back.

"I can't hit them if they move so much!" I yell. Nevertheless, I try to hit.

Suddenly everything stops.

The Grievers stops fighting and scuffle back, disappearing into the depths of the Maze.

Is it over?

"I guess Teresa did her work." Thomas heaves, his face all dirty and cut on his shoulder.

It is over.

TOTAL WORDS-1392

A/N:

almost over!!!!!!! and me being the devil i am, plan to make the last chapter a heartbreaking one. so get your tissues handy.

please do vote/comment if you've liked this chapter, it's all about support.