The Fucked Up World We Live In

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

ADELAIDE

"A Griever? In the middle of the day?" my eyebrows shoot up.

"That's what they said." Thomas says tiredly, rubbing his wrist where a large bandage was wrapped. Chuck eyes it nervously.

I comeback after my third day as a fully-fledged Runner to find that Ben is stung and apparently he went berserk and attacked Thomas, who was in the Deadheads to get fertilizers for Newt and Zart.

I can hear his faint screams of protest from the slammer.

He was supposed to run in the section four.

"I didn't hear him scream. Or any Griever. I was in section three today." I tuck the strands of hair behind my ear that have come out of my braid while running.

"I don't know. He had this shucking creepy black and blue vines jutted out of this stomach from the sting." Chuck says, gloomily.

"Alby said that he will do something. What is it?" Thomas asks me, rubbing his hands together nervously.

"Banishment." I say.

"What's that?" he asks, his brown eyes looking at me with weariness, already hating the word.

"They will throw him out in the Maze just before the doors close. He will have to spend the night in the Maze. It's like a death warrant on him."

Thomas looks horrified."They-they can't do it to him." He protests, his voice wavering, "Its not his fault."

"I know, but he is too gone to be saved. He was already so late for the Griever Serum. He is as good as dead now. He will attack you or anyone else, if not ...stopped." Chuck says.

"How are you so comfortable with it?!" Thomas snaps at him, even glancing at me accusingly.

"We are not. It's not our hobby to throw people in the maze, you know?" I snap back.

"People? It has happened even before?"

Chuck looks at me with confusion, clearly wanting to know as well.

"Well, I-uh- I haven't seen it, but I know that it had happened." I say.

"Why?"

"Mostly for being stung and some for breaking the rules."