Chapter 2: Confronation

A/N: I know I said I might not update today, but I didn't want to make you guys wait longer than you have to. It's going to be pretty crappy, but this was probably my favorite chapter to write... so enjoy!

We're on a transport truck heading to the dock where our boat is waiting for us. The Athena. Beautiful, right? As the truck pulls to a stop, the boys and I ,(minus Chapman) grab our bags and get off of the truck, Mills complaining to Cole the whole time. It's funny, really, how Cole said that Key West isn't an island, but a key. He just makes my days a whole lot better every time something dumb comes out of his mouth. 

Packard is waiting by the ramp up to the boat, making sure no one that isn't supposed to be there gets on. I don't blame him. People can be desperate. 

"Hello Colonel," I say to him as we pass. He just nods and turns away. Rude. We get to the top of the ramp onto the ship and I turn around, facing the Devils. "Right. Get yourselves situated and then we meet for the briefing in 20 minutes. Go!" I shout as no one moves. 

Magical time skip (I actually started writing "Macigal". I feel so dumb)

My boys and I walk into the room together when everyone else is already in there. I feel like we might be just a little late? Maybe just a little? Oh wait... no one's talking. I guess we're right on time then.  We sit down in the empty seats with the rest of the military people.

"Now that everyone is here, hello and welcome. I'm Lansat Field Supervisor, Victor Nieves," Victor says at the front of the room. "This is my colleague Steve Woodward, our data wrangler." At this, all of us chuckle. Data wrangler? Really? "Our expedition takes us to a place every nautical trade route known to man has avoided for centuries," Victor continues.

"As our satellites show, the island is surrounded by a perpetual storm system, allowing it to remain hidden from the outside world. But with Colonel Packard's and Major Weaver's helicopter transport, we will be the first to break through to the other side. We're also pleased to be joined, for the first time, by the resource exploration team led my Mr. Randa," The fat guy. "and accompanied by biologist Miss San," The girl, duh. "and geologist, Mr. Brooks." The skinny guy. 

"Our focus will be on the island's surface, theirs, what lies beneath. Mr. Brooks," Victor finishes.

"Simple, really. We'll use explosives to shake the earth and create vibrations helping us map out the subsurface of the island." Now he grabs a pointer. Great. "We'll fly in over the south shore, and then strategically drop seismic charges to better help us understand the density of the earth."

"You're dropping bombs?" A guy with a British accent asks. Everyone, including myself, turns to face him.

"Mmm... scientific instruments," Brooks replies.

"You hear that boys?" I start.

"We're scientists now!" Slivko finishes, making all of us soldiers erupt into chuckles. The... um... Steve guy says something inaudible to me. I think he was mocking our scientific knowledge! How dare he!

Victor starts talking, again. "We'll then land and make base camp for ground excursions led by Mr. Conrad. Majors Jack Chapman and (Y/n) Weaver."

"All righ-" I'm cut off by a soldier. 

"She can't be here! She's a girl!" A soldier complains. I think I heard him talking to Slivko earlier. Michaels was it?

"Do you have an issue with that?" Packard starts. I hold up my hand to silence him.

"No no, let him speak. Why can't I be here exactly?"

He starts getting smug and cocky. Idiot. "Well you're a girl. You're only good for cooking and cleaning."

Now that, that makes me really angry. "Well, this girl came out top of her class in a class full of boys."

"Yeah but that means nothing!"

"I trained my Sky Devils myself, fought in war and came out alive, and I'm a Colonel who has only been here for 6 years. What are you exactly?" (I know that the Air Force ranks go from Major to Lt. Colonel, but for the purpose of this story, you kinda have to be Colonel. Sorry for those of you who are aggravated.)

Cocky ass. His smirk falls from his face. "I'm a Second Lieutenant, miss. But you still shouldn't be here! Girls can't do the same things that we can." 

"Well this girl can beat your ass. If I shouldn't be here, then you shouldn't either. In fact, most of the men here shouldn't!"

Michaels looks pissed now. "What? Why?"

"Because according to my rank, I'm better than all of you. But if I'm just a girl that shouldn't be here because boys are 'stronger' than me, then you all are worse than this girl. I'll go home if you go home Michaels," I reply, smirking at him. "Now, if you are done with embarrassing yourself and wasting my time, I'm going to continue. Does anyone have any issues with that?" I ask, scanning the room. Nothing. "Good. Now, as I was saying, once on the island, the storm's interference will block all radio contact with the ship. That means we'll be by ourselves."

"Three days later, the refuel team will meet us here, on the north end of the island," Chapman continues for me. "That may be our only safe departure window for an unknown period of time. So, tip for everybody,"

"Don't miss it, please" I say.