Winter Wonderland

We weaved between the alleys of game booths and food stalls, stopping at a red tent when Dex challenged James to a competition of athletic prowess

We weaved between the alleys of game booths and food stalls, stopping at a red tent when Dex challenged James to a competition of athletic prowess. I shook my head as I watched him grapple with the deflated basketball, still invested in the fun despite the fact that the outcome was ... predictable, to say the least.

Then again, the attendant was making eyes at Dex. Who was to say she wouldn't rig the game in his favor?

Noah draped his arms over me from behind as we watched, planting a kiss on the very top of my beanie.

I peered back at him curiously. "What was that for?"

"You're glowing."

The night air was freezing, but my cheeks were burning. I was sure of it. "I am not."

"Are so." He took a few steps until we were side by side, bending down comically as he tried to catch my eye.

I gave in with a sigh, meeting his pointed gaze straight on. There were so many questions dancing around in there, and while I thought I had a pretty good idea of what it was he wanted to know, the first thing he asked took me by surprise.

"Are you happy, Madi?"

My heart rate steadied, if only for a second. It was such a pure question, one matched by the soft, tender edge to his voice. But I was still fidgeting nervously under his penetrating stare, a youthful kind of excitement fluttering in my stomach.

I couldn't find the words to answer him. The word 'happy' didn't truly encompass everything I was feeling. I didn't think any word could.

So I simply nodded.

His mouth twitched. "And you're not angry at me?"

I let out a laugh, rolling my eyes to the sky and back. "For lying? Or for cutting the power?"

He laughed right back, and I swatted his arm gently.

"We could have died, Noah! It was freezing in that cabin."

"Oh, you poor, poor things. I do hope you found some way to keep each other warm..."

My cheeks weren't simply burning, I realized. They were scorching. They were hot enough to warm the entire resort if a storm were to hit.

He wiggled his eyebrows, his grin broadening with glee. "I'll take that as a yes." 

"Take it however you like."

"Oh, come on! You're not going all tight-lipped on me now, are you? Where's the gratitude? Where are the details? I need details, Madison Jane!"

I shook my head again, wishing I could simply melt into the snow and die a little bit. "You want details about the night I spent alone with your best friend?"