Let It Snow

White

White.

White sleet, white flakes, white smoke rising from chimneys and into the white clouds in the late afternoon sky. A thick, pretty ocean of white lay claim to every piece of land that I could see, glittering snow coating the wintery landscape like sand caked the coast back home. It was like I'd blinked and woken up in the North Pole.

Or Narnia.

I turned away from the picture-windows and back toward Dex as he hovered in the spacious lounge. Although 'lounge' was a vast understatement of a room bigger than ten of Camden's dorm rooms combined. In fact, 'cabin' was an understatement of what that place truly was. If the building I'd wound up in—with its high ceilings, three floors, and lavish, open floorplan—was a cabin, then my mother's house on the coast was a shoebox.

A Louboutin shoebox. Naturally.

"So?" Dex asked, waving a hand about the room sheepishly. It was both rustic and sleek at the same time, planks of oak and blocks of stone adorning the walls and floors. "What do you think?"

What did I think?

I mirrored his gesture, drinking in the rich, fuzzy rugs and the slinky, sheer drapes. "It's beautiful, Dex. All of it."

He arched a brow. "But?"

I couldn't stop the smile that tugged at my lips. I had to give it to him; if that road trip was good for one thing, it was bringing Dex one step closer to reading me.

Maybe Noah had a point with that theory of his, after all.

"It's just ..." I shrugged, "I thought we were staying at a resort-resort. Like, a hotel ..." Our cabin seemed more like an Airbnb.

A ridiculously expensive Airbnb.

He scrunched his nose, not really understanding my insinuation at all. "This is a hotel."

I could only scoff in reply.  

When Dex first pulled me out of Skip's truck to show off our view of the estate, I'd thought that the relics of civilization dotting the horizon were all part of some charming, small town that I'd simply never heard of. As it turned out, it was part of the resort. All of it. The dozens of restaurants and boutiques that looked straight out of a movie. The iced-over lake and skaters glazing it. The state-of-the-art chairlift that transported guests in skis to and from various peaks. It was far, far from anything I'd ever describe as a resort. It was its own little world encased in a snow globe.

Really, I should have been used to every word in my friends' vernacular being an understatement of what they were actually referring to. And, suddenly, I felt stupid for not realizing it sooner. Because when Dex assured me that his parents were happy to foot the bill for my stay, what I hadn't expected was to crash somewhere so obviously affluent.