Chapter 3: Awakening

"(name)," a somewhat deep voice spoke gently.

"Mm..." You slowly opened your eyes, and squinted from the light.

"(name)." You blinked a few times and looked over at the figure who called your name.

"Khun? What are you doing here?" You sounded like you were still half asleep.

"I came to check up on you. We're allies after all, aren't we?"

"Y-yeah." You blinked a few more times. 'Well, he may be a jerk, but at least he was considerate enough to check up on you...' You sat up and saw that one of Khun's teammates was with him. "Um, hello there."

"Ah, small turtle, I'm glad to see that you're finally awake after two days!" The crocodile shouted.

"Turtle...? How am I... Wait, I was out for two days? And where's Bam? Shouldn't he be with you?"

"My, you sure have a lot of questions," Khun said as he crossed his arms, "Yes, you were out for two days, but since you're awake now, I guess the crocodile and I can get going." He got up and began to walk towards the door.

"I am not a crocodile! I am Rak Wraithraiser!" The crocodile named Rak continued with his shouting. You covered your ears with your hands.

"H-Hey! Wait! You never answered my other questions." You gestured towards Khun. He walked back to the chair and sat down again.

"Bam is still unconscious. It seems like you weren't the only one who was knocked out by that girl."

"I see... Well, do you know where he is?" You got up from your bed.

"We were already going to go see him."

"If you're going to see black turtle, then I'm going to go get some more of those chocolate bars!" Rak shouted as he stomped out of the room.

"I see. Then, I will join you." You walked with Khun to Bam's room. Once inside, you saw Bam laying there, his head wrapped in bandages.

"He needs to wake up soon. If this continues... he might not be able to join the test tomorrow."

"Test?" You asked.

"Yes, testing starts tomorrow. We were assigned our positions the other day."

"Oh! I see... I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't make it." You nervously laughed.

"Scout."

"Huh?"

"You were assigned scout."

"Oh," you had a faint smile, "I guess I managed to make it after all. Um... thanks, I guess, for looking out for me. What about you? There's no doubt that you made it."

"I was assigned light bearer."

"Fun," you say with much awkwardness. You felt a little bummed that the two of you weren't assigned to the same position.

There was a knock on the door.

"Um... may I come in?" A quiet voice asked from the other side of the door. You and Khun looked at each other and nodded.

"Yes, come in," Khun finally answered. The door opened and a small girl with blonde hair and freckles walked in. "You are...?"

"Oh...! Hi! I'm Rachel." She walked over and placed her hand on Bam's head. You sat and watched quietly.