It's Raining Glasses

Start from the beginning

"No. No. No. No..no...no.. no. No!" I whisper as I dab my sleeve on his wound. "Wake up. Please. Please. Wake up."

Don't. Don't even dare to leave me. Don't leave me. Please. Don't leave me.

Thomas stands near Gally who is looking at Newt in horror. "What the hell are you doing!" He yells at the estranged boy.

"You shut up, Thomas!" Gally yells, "I know who you are! I know who you both are!" he points at Thomas and Teresa, who has kneeled by Newt and me.

"He is bleeding." She says.

"Oh, thank you telling me that, I thought it was rose flavored syrup leaking from his head!" I snap at her. Her hurt features makes me realize what I've done. "Sorry. I'm.. I'm so sorry, Teresa. I didn't mean .... I didn't mean.."

"Don't worry about it. I understand." She says, "But right now we need a Med-jack."

"There's no one left. Stan. Clint." I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to get Stan's cold eyes burning at my soul, away. "But you're one too, right? You know something?"

"Yeah," I nod as I run fingers through my hair, trying to calm myself down. I don't care that I am smearing Newt's blood on my hair too. I just need his eyes open.

Please.

"We have to first get him away from this mess." I say to Teresa, who nods and helps me to carefully pull Newt to the furthest corner of the room.

"I don't care ANYMORE!" Gally yells, ripping away the last wooden plank. As he yanks the plank, all the glass shatters, and sprays inwards. The boys yell in horror and cover their faces and head with their head. I crouch in front of Newt's head, protecting him with my back facing the crystal ambush. I wince as I feel some of the pieces embed on my back.

I would have killed Gally, literally, but the Griever crawling in from the window. It's tentacle have squished though the broken window, trying to grope anything on its way.

The boys yelp and hurdle to the furthest corner. I and Teresa try to pull an unconscious Newt further away from the oncoming Griever tentacle. But he is so heavy.

How the hell can he be so heavy.

I grunt as I pull him away as the tentacle advances further to grope us. Thomas and Minho try to find a weapon.

"No one ever understands!" Gally yells as we finally pull Newt against the furthest wall.

"Please wake up." I whisper, shaking Newt, whose eyes crunches a little. I sigh in relief, holding onto him tighter.

"Everyone misunderstood me!" Gally screams over the commotion. "No one understood what I saw! What the Changing did to me! Thomas, you ...you don't want to remember... You don't want to go out."

With that he takes a look at us, his eyes setting on me longer than on anyone else and jumps on the slithering claw of the Griever. The Griever's claw immediately latches onto Gally, leaving us and yanks him out of the window.

Thomas runs towards the window. He looks nauseous and horrified as he watches the Griever leave the Glade with a screaming Gally. Suddenly his face contorts into a flabbergasted and shocked expression as he yells at someone to come back. Thomas runs outside the Gathering Hall, yelling for Minho to come back.

I want to follow Minho but I have more pressing matters in hand.

Needless to say that no one slept a wink all through the night. I kept Chuck close to me, not even daring to let go of his hand. After a few hours, Chuck finally nodded off, his head on my lap.

Newt finally woke up after a few hours. We didn't talk much as Teresa practically threw herself on him, checking him out and re-bandaging his wounds. She gave him some pain killers and told him to sleep it off. Newt insisted that he would be awake, but he too, after a few hours, fell asleep.

I, however,was too shocked and alert yet numbed  to even sit still. My mind was boggling with thousands of questions and a plethora of planning of what to do next.

I had no idea if what Gally had said was true. I didn't know if the Creators actually planned to send Grievers every night to kill us, but what I did know that I would not let anyone of us to go down without a fight. 

And even if I die, I won't let Chuck or Newt or Minho to die. 

Most of the Gladers are huddled to each other, sleeping. Thomas and I are the only one who aren't asleep. Thomas keeps pacing outside the homestead, waiting for Minho to come back.

After a few more hours, around 3 am or so, according to my watch, my whole body aches from sitting for so long and Newt and Chuck, practically sleeping on me. I carefully call Thomas in and he hands me two pillows for Newt and Chuck. After slipping out carefully, without waking them up, I walk out of the homestead.

As I stretch, Thomas carefully walks to me.

"Is this gonna happen every night?" he asks me.

"I don't know. But Gally did."

"How can we believe him?"

"He's dead. Why would he lie if he actually jumped in to save me and Newt?"

Thomas falls silent. "We have to find a way out soon. Like, right now." I say.

"But Minho says that there is no way out."

"Remember the black hole thingy?"

"Are you telling us to jump through that?"

"Do we have any other way? The only way out is to solve the Maze and there is no way out, except that. That is the only thing that has an exit."

"What if that kills? Like that one shank in Box Hole? Box Hole has an exit too, right? You know how that ended. Chuck told me that it was the time when he came."

I bit my lip, remembering Nick.

"We have to find a way out by tonight. The more we wait, the more people die." I say.

"I know." Thomas nods, his facial features grave.

TOTAL WORDS-1506

please do vote/comment if you've liked this chapter, it's all about support.