𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

Start from the beginning

It's a deafening silence.

I stare at Alby, eyes wide as Newt leans away from him slightly, trying his best not to flinch. I'd almost forgotten he doesn't like loud noises. His eyes are dark and clouded, nothing like the clarity they usually held — another thing Id noticed about him. You can always see his emotions through his eyes. I furrow my brows as he rights himself and his eyes meet mine, instantly relaxing more.

"Anyone else?" Alby grumbles.

Alby storming out of the room marked the official ending of the Gathering, but everyone stayed put in their places for a moment, processing everything that was said in the Gathering. Newt is scowling as he looks down at his shoes, scuffing the stone floor, kicking up dust as he does so.

Everyone in the Gathering knew that something was wrong, any old shank could see that. The thing that divided us was why they thought things were different. Some people blamed me, or even Thomas for what happened — considering his reaction to the girl was strange to say the least. However, most of us didn't blame anyone but W.C.K.D.

People file out of the room, chattering and debating boisterously until it's just Newt and I left, and I walk over to him, raising my eyebrow. He shakes his head slightly, his jaw clenching as he heads over to the door. I scoff as I follow him out of the Gathering Room. "This isn't too ominous."

"Yeah," he grumbles, his eyes dark, holding the door for me. "I'm glad W.C.K.D are being straightforward with us right now."

"It's what I live for."

As soon as I step out into the open, the cool air envelops me, almost as if it were flushing out all of the anger and bitterness I'd had bubbling below the surface. To my surprise, it looks to be around lunchtime, the boys wandering away from the kitchens and towards their workstations. I look over to see Newt searching the glade, his jaw clenching as he watches the Keepers disperse from the Gathering Room. My eyes travel down to his hands, currently clenched into fists at his side and I carefully take his hand in mine and uncurl his fingers, his touch spreading a comforting warmth through me. I look up to see Newt smiling softly down at me before looking down at our hands and entwining our fingers, his smile growing when I blush. I curse myself.

"I think I've made ya soft," he says smugly.

I hastily rip my hand away from him and cross my arms, despite my head screaming at me to hold his hand again. "I don't think so."

"Thea!" Alby calls as he walks over to the two of us. I silently thank Alby for the intervention, I think if Newt smirked at me one more time, I'd either punch him, or kiss him. I'm undecided on which one I'd enjoy more. "Go and check on the Greenie," he orders.

I roll my eyes, "Didn't know Greenie duty was in the job description."

"Slim it," he snaps. "Get gone."

"I'm going, I'm going," I say, walking away from the two boys with my hands up in mock defence. I scowl at Newt as the corners of his lips quirk upwards into a small smirk. "Shut up, Frog-face."

"I didn't say nothin'."

"No, but you smirked." I stop and turn around, watching Newt raise his eyebrows as Alby surveys the two of us with amusement glinting in his eyes.

"Tommy's not that bad," reasons Newt.

"That's true. At least he's better company than you or Minho."

"Wow," he says dryly. "You're a keeper, huh?"

I almost laugh at myself. "Technically, I am."

"Get lost," Newt says, his smirk stretching into a grin as he and Alby walk in the opposite direction before casting a mock glare at me over his shoulder, which I return instantaneously.