Chapter 4: Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while

"Stay put, I'll be right back. Try and eat more in the meantime. You've been asleep for three days; your body needs the nutrition." Madara gave Shisui's shoulder a light squeeze before he was gone with only the sound of sliding doors and distancing footsteps to mark his host's departure from the guestroom(?).

Shisui strained his ears to the best of his abilities whilst silencing his breath to listen keenly for signs of life near him, wary of the quiet brought by Madara's and Izuna's exit. It was a pointless endeavour to be done inside a shinobi household(?) if he was being honest with himself, but he couldn't quite help it. Shinobi training prompted him to do basic recon, especially whilst injured in unknown territory. However, Shisui was running on fumes and the only organ that could be of use right now to determine his safety and surrounding was deprived from him. His other senses were useless in this situation.

Shisui sighed, dejected at the expected outcome. He rolled his shoulders once, twice, to rid the tension that had knotted itself into his neck muscles. As high-strung as he was, he shouldn't allow paranoia to exhaust him, particularly whilst he was recovering from unknown injuries.

Speaking of injuries; Shisui pushed the comforting quilt to one side and started to perform a basic head-to-toe physical assessment on himself. It was better to do this sooner than later and on his lonesome (was he truly alone in this room, though?), just so he wouldn't accidentally make a fool of himself if worst-case scenario, he needed to flee.

Shisui ran his fingers along his scalp, searching for any bumps or sore spots that might indicate any unwanted head injuries. When he found nothing, he continued down his neck and face, taking note of any cuts, broken skin, or wound dressings he might feel under his clinical touches. There wasn't anything noteworthy (his eyeballs weren't in their rightful place), only shallow scratches he could've gotten from all the roughhousing he had done with Danzo and his emotionless puppets.

Shisui moved his hands further down his body, pressing along his ribcage over the loose yukata(?) he had been changed into. His sternum felt sore to touch, but he wasn't concerned about that; it was a common side-effect after getting kneed in the chest. Judging by the familiar pain that came from the third, fourth, and fifth of his left rib after a probing (Danzo really did a number on his left flank), he'd assume there'd be hairline fractures, which wasn't concerning or would restrict him if he needed to do some acrobatics. Might twinge if he bent wrongly, of course, but nothing he couldn't handle. He had gotten so many oblique fractures over the years that hairline fractures don't bother him anymore.

Shisui focused on his arms next. He prioritized the bones and joints and did some light stretches to test their flexibility. He might not be able to see if any of him were bruised, but the way some parts of his skin felt warmer compared to the rest was an indication that they did exist. Fortunately, none of his fingers were damaged and only bruises littered his forearms, a common after-effect of blocking without the protection of armguards to absorb most of the damage.

Bending slightly forward, Shisui assessed his back next. Nil abnormalities detected on his spine, which was a relief. His hands moved lower until they reached his thigh. A full pat-down of his legs later and Shisui knew that he might need a month or two worth of bed rest and rehabilitation.

Whilst he couldn't confirm the true extent of his injuries due to the splints and his own lack of eyeballs, it had hurt immensely on touch and movement. The bones below his knees have all been shattered as if he had landed on his feet from a high distance without cushioning them with chakra. It was practically a miracle that his lower limbs had kept their shape and the bones had not punctured his skin, and that this injury did not affect his spine. Shisui could barely move a toe without feeling excruciating pain.