The Fucked Up World We Live In

Start from the beginning

Thomas sighs, rubbing his face in tiredness, clearly overwhelmed.

"So, is there nothing we can do save him?" Chuck asks no one in particular.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Is there no way to save him?" I ask Alby, who leans on the tree trunk looking down at me tiredly, "We can like lock him up."

"You have no idea what the Griever Sting makes a person." He says, "You know, Ben is my friend too. But this person who you see; it's not Ben."

I hear Ben thrashing against the Slammer gates, yelling to be freed.

"How can you just give up on him? Why don't we ask the Creators for a cure?" I ask.

"They gave us a cure for it, you know it- the Griever Serum. He was too late for it and now that Serum won't make any difference. It's up to us how we handle them." Alby rubs his face, his shoulder sagging from the pressure on him."Either we let the person live and then out the lives of all the other Gladers in danger or we banish the person."

"What about Gally?" I ask, remembering the incident that Stan had told me a few days back.

"What about him?"

"He was the initial runner. He got stung. How did he survive? Who got him back on time?"

"He almost didn't. Griever Serum, which the Med-Jacks inject in the body. You don't know how it works. The person goes through the Changing and is never the same afterwards. Gally was lucky that he was brought back in time, but Ben is too late."

"What made Gally change? What did he see?"

"I don't know. No one likes to tell what they saw during the Changing."

My heart sinks, knowing that there is no way to save Ben. The Creators have killed yet another person and the only people who will be carrying the pain of his death are the Gladers, not the Creators.

They are happily somewhere, keeping an eye on us like some bloody scientists as if out to save the world or something, while we are being tortured. And the godforsaken Government isn't doing anything to save us. Neither our parents.

No one is doing anything to rescue us.

What kind of world are we living in?

"Alby, who are the other people who went through the Changing?" I ask.

"No one alive."

-----------------------------------------

I stood by the Homestead as they all gathered around the Doors. Everyone wore a somber expression, terrified of what is going to happen. I am one hundred percent sure that they are all remembering how the last banishment was.

Some guy named Ernst. He was banished because if the same reason- Griver Sting.

I cannot see Ben being banished for no fault of his. It's the creators' fault. I wonder how many kids are banished like this and Nick... He was sliced.

No one deserves to die.

No one.

I see Minho walk across the Glade, making his way to the slammer to get Ben. His head is hung low and it doesn't take a genius to know that he is hurting.

"Pleeeeaaaassseeeee.... Minho, please." Ben cries as he is dragged by collar, clasped around his neck.

This is fucking inhumane. Couldn't they give him a better death?? Its not his fault!

Minho pays no attention and keeps pulling him. Ben thrashes around, trying to pull back, but Minho is stronger.

"Adelaide!!!"

My breath hitches. Ben looks at me with desperation, almost getting down on my knees. A pang of hurt shoots through my heart, making it difficult to breath.

"You know it's not me. I will get better. Tell them. Please. Please. Please." Tears streams down his eyes as he kneels in front of me.

I clench my eyes shut, gritting my teeth.

"I know it's not your fault. It's the Creators'. It's all them." I say to Ben as my clenched fist shakes by my side.

Why can't I do anything? Why am I standing here like this? Why??

"Adelaide." Minho warns, silently telling me not to interfere.

"This is wrong." I whisper to him, trying not to let my tears fall. He shakes his head and pulls on Ben, dragging him away from me. Ben thrashes around, trying to reach for me.

"Adelaideaaaaa!!! Pleeeeaaasseeee!!"

I chock on my tears, my heart tearing apart, my stomach twisting.

Ben's final horror and desperation filled face, begging for me to save him, finally etched in my mind, before he is concealed by the crowd.

I turn back and run up the stairs, into my room, flinging myself on my bed and I cry, without stopping myself. I can still hear his cries, louder than the rumbling noise of the doors as he pleads someone to save him.

I'm useless. I'm useless.

I sob heavily.

Crying for Ben.

Crying for me.

Crying for mommy.

Crying for daddy.

Crying for everything that happened to me.

Crying for every single one of the Gladers.

I finally let go and tears of my long suppressed sorrow, frustration, self-disappointment and depression.I still can't erase the image of Ben, begging me for help, while I stood there, unable to do anything.

I hate myself even more.

I faintly register someone approach me and lay down beside me, wrapping their arms around me.

It is not Newt.

I open my eyes to see a blurry figure of Chuck beside me, trying his level best not to burst crying. His brown eyes held horror of what he saw and sadness.

Utter sadness.

I say nothing, just hugged him, bringing him closer to me, as we both cry on each other's shoulder, in solidity .

We did not deserve this.

None of us did.

TOTAL WORDS-1262

please vote/comment if you've liked this chapter, it would mean a lot to me.