Chapter Seven

The digital alarm clock went off right next to my ear. I turned away from Frankie's chest to see that it was almost thirty minutes past ten in the morning. I was the only one up, as expected since everyone decided to keep the party downstairs while I went back to the room to shower and sleep.

Using my elbows to prop myself off the pillow, I look over and see Tara and Bennie were back to back and sleeping like royalty. I heard them arguing in my dreams about who would get to sleep next to Frankie. The boys took the middle and us girls slept on the outside.

It was best that I slipped away before anyone woke up and the chaos begun. I put on a jacket and my sneakers then rushed down to the lobby where coffee and simple breakfast was served. Instead of being lured in by the smell, I went to the front desk and took a mint from the cup.

Workers walked about and a few guest were mingled in with them. I leaned against the counter and watched the people walk around with what seemed to be no purpose. As the last person walked by. I noticed there was a small bookstore right across the street. I didn't have much money but I knew there would be something in there worth getting.

It took two minutes to get across the street and another five just to get out of a conversation with the cashier. She eventually led me to the self help section when I told her my boyfriend was obsessed with owning all the money in the world. I had no idea what I was looking for. I was tempted to pick up anything random and give it to him since he would most likely be too excited that I thought about him. Then I remembered that I was limited on time and money, so I went to the best selling section. The first book shown was written by some man named Napoleon Hill. His portrait looked expensive so I went with that and checked out.

"There she is!" Tara dragged me in by my wrist before I could even walk through the door. "Benjamin doesn't believe me when I told him that you and Frankie are sexually intimate. He thinks Frankie is a... virgin."

My jaw dropped when I heard what the conversation about.

Frankie groaned. "I don't know why they are talking about this. I woke up to Bennie asking me what size condom do I wear."

Not wanting to take part in the discussion, I went straight over to Frankie with the book hidden behind my back. "Anyways, I got you a little gift." Tara cooed at us. "It's nothing too grand. Just this!" I put the book cover in his face. He took a few steps back to read the title. "So?" I urged when his face remained bland.

"Now Yvette. You know how I get." A smirk then spread across his face and I knew I didn't do so bad. "Do you know how many people Napoleon Hill has brought to fortune?!" He snatched the book from my hand to hold it for himself. "Thank you, Vee." He gave me a kiss on the cheek then jumped on the bed while cracking it open.

"Check out is in ten minutes." We all nodded at Tara who put on her shirt from last night.

Frankie then jumped out the bed as if he forgot something on the other side of the room. I watched him go to his wallet then turn to face me in a flash. "I also got something for you too. I hope it doesn't completely ruin the mood but you need to do this for yourself, okay?" I nodded cautiously. He then pulled out a taped together mess of a card. One look at it and I knew exactly what it was. "There is a phone at the check out. It's almost eleven on the dot... you can do this."

"It really kills the mood." I snatched the card from his hand and put it in my pocket.

Everyone was ready to go by then. They all waited by the exit as I typed in the digits on the card. If I would have given it one more rip, then there would have been no way to piece the card back together. Instead, I was stuck in a position that I had to do it or all the work and running around would have been for nothing.

"So? What'd he say?" Bennie frantically hung out the window of his car as I made my exit from the hotel.

The things we talked about for twenty minutes scared me to death. I couldn't even put into words how on the edge I was about everything. I asked him all my questions then he asked me all of his. At the end, he made an offer that I couldn't turn down. No child who has never known their parent would.

"I think it went well. We really got to know each other."

That sentence is all it took for Frankie to smile from ear to ear. He opened the rear car door for me and we all got comfortable in our seats.

Tara turned to face me from that passengers seat the moment Bennie let off the breaks. I knew that my answer wasn't enough for her. She was like me in a way. Always wanting to know more. "What exactly was said? Your face was impossible to read."

"Tara," Frankie held up a hand before I could say a word. "This is a personal moment between her and her father. We don't want to be too invasive." He then cradled me into his arms. "So what exactly was said?"

I used my hand to push off him in a joking matter. I knew he wanted to know what the conversation was about but I wasn't ready to tell a soul. Not until I knew it was the right time.