Chapter Four

There were many times I've had to lie about my after-school activities. My grandma never knew when I was lying. She always told me that I keep a straight face where ever I go. I was honest most of the time, except for the times I wanted to spend alone with Frankie.

We never had time for just us two. He wasn't allowed over my house and his dad had a rule about the door being open at least six inches. Tara and Benjamin stayed on our hips the entire summer and we felt bad when they weren't.

"Why didn't you tell me my button fell open!" I quickly buttoned my top since my chest was practically pushing its way free.

Frankie chuckled while flicking the button out of my fingertips. "It's cute when you find out on your own and give me that dramatic face of shock." He rested his hand behind my back as he turned to look straight ahead at the thick trees. He used the other hand to cover his eyes from the sun.

"What else is cute about me?" I smirk.

He slightly chuckled. "You want me to boost your self-esteem? Is that what I'm good at?"

"You're such a jerk. You're supposed to say something other than that." I rolled my eyes while pretending I was about to get up and leave. He grabbed my arm and slightly tugged me back until I fell against him.

"You know... I love everything about you, Yvette. Especially this sudden urge to find out who you are. Any other guy I know wouldn't have the guts to search for their family. Rejection is serious around these parts. But you don't even care."

"Maybe I care because I was rejected." Frankie rolled his eyes at me. "It's true. Both of my parents wanted nothing to do with me. One went crazy and the other just... went."

"You're doing this because you don't know the why. Making up answers to your problems could only cause frustration. Believe me. I lived with my grandma all my life while my mom fought to get sober. I just let it be and when the moment was right. I got the chance to ask her why and I took it. Your chance is coming, Yvette."

I couldn't help but kiss him. Despite being the only one I know who would tell me the straightforward truth, he was also the best person I could have ever stumbled across. "I love everything about you, Frankie."

He grinned before hopping off the hood of the truck. The stare he gave me was full of suspiciousness. It made me nervous as to what was going on in his head, but I knew it couldn't possibly be too bad. "Well... we have an address and we have a truck." My eyes almost fell out of my head. "What is a better time to do it than right now? Why are we waiting, Yvette?"

The smile that spread across my face was completely involuntary. My brain was telling me to jump in the front seat and my heart couldn't agree more. "No reason!" I quickly jumped off the truck and rushed to the passenger seat. Frankie practically beat me to the wheel. Before we could go anywhere, he gave me another kiss and pulled out of the dirt lot.

It would be an hour's drive to Muskogee and the only thing I was worried about is what my grandma would say when I got to a telephone to tell her where I was at. I knew she would either faint out or get in her car and drive down to kill me. Either way, I would at least get to see my father and hopefully see if he cared about me or even missed me.

"You gonna make a left at that light up there and it should put you on the street closest to that neighborhood. It's East Cincinnati then Baltimore, you can miss it." Frankie wrote everything down on his wrist since the man was speaking pretty fast. He seemed like he had to get back to his walk with his woman and dog. "You all be safe out that way."

He got back in the truck and quickly rolled up all the windows. "Be safe? What are we driving into?" I rolled my eyes as he pulled out of the gas station. "East Cincinnati." He pointed to a street sign. "We're getting close!"