ii morning hangover next to JFK

The next morning, Sophia felt like she was doing the walk of shame while entering the cafeteria with her uncle by her side. He fetched her from Spencer's house first thing in the morning and took her to Joe's café so they could have their last breakfast of their summer vacation together. Sophia would've founded it cute and thoughtful if the hangover wasn't killing her.

"I was thinking about getting an iced coffee..." he said out loud while reading the menu. Sophia was resting her head in the wooden table, she already had her order memorized. "... with lots of sugar. I used to have it all the time when I was hangover in university, not so long ago. It's hard to fool this old man."

Sophia opened her eyes widely while straighten herself in her chair. Furrowing her brows when she didn't see any gesture that indicated anger towards her. "Aren't you mad?"

"I was getting worried you never snuck out of the house coming as my brother's daughter" he said calmly while closing the menu. "I'm kinda mad that you lied to me, but I trust you enough to know you wouldn't go making bad decisions."

Sophia smiled to him and rested her head in her hand. "If it makes you feel better, I spent the entire night with Spencer and we both returned home sober."

"It makes me feel better, yeah" the blond male smiled before the waitress came to took their orders. "How do you feel about this year?"

"Hope it'll go as expected, which is the total contrary as per us. And what about the re-election?" 

Paul smiled proudly. "I'm positive we are going to win."

"I'm sure your army of angry moms is going to pass the voice" Paul laughed at her niece and she scrunched her nose with a short giggle. 

She remembered when his uncle started running his campaign, every single woman felt attracted to him so, naturally, everytime Sophia went to school a lot of mothers approached her to ask about how Paul was doing or just to talk about how amazing he is.

"I think I can manage to make it to your school and the office on time this year." Paul said "Nine to two, right?"

"I can walk myself home. So don't worry about the after school ride."

"Great, so I can finish early and be home by seven" he smiled satisfied and Sophia nodded.

Sophia's uncle had been taking care of her since she was twelve years old, just when they moved to Wellsbury. And sometimes she couldn't help but feel bad about stealing his young adult life. Of course he didn't mind it, but the least she could do is erasing some worries and simplifying his job as an uncle, parent figure and town mayor.

Just as the waitress came with their orders —a vanilla cold brew and a banana muffin for Sophia, and an iced black coffee for Paul—, a notification popped up from Sophia's phone.

"We have a plus one tomorrow morning." Sophia infomed him before taking a sip from her coffee. "Spencer needs a ride"

"Didn't she had a car? What happened?"

"Her mom didn't know about yesterday scaparade." Paul grabbed his hair and slowly rested his head on the table, Sophia laughed at him. "I'll tell her to come home by eight thirty, you are the best!"

"You are the best uncle of the world!" Spencer greeted Paul Randolph with big enthusiasm at eight thirty sharp. Sophia laughed from the kitchen while she finished her breakfast.

"I did not plan on having two teenagers around here." Paul groaned while he closed the door. "We are leaving on five, finish that quickly."

Sophia took the last spoon of cereal and put the dirty bowl in the kitchen sink. "Spence come with me."

Both girls went upstairs, Spencer standing too close to Sophia, stopping her from entering the bathroom.

"I think you forgot to tell me something." Spencer mumbled while crossing her arms. "I hope this words ring any bell, tall, kinda annoying, Brodie? Again?"

Sophia rolled her eyes at her and pushed her to the side, entering the bathroom. "It is nothing. I was drunk, he was high. I was too pretty to him for not notice me."

"And what about Baker?" 

"He didn't go. I talked with Lisa when we arrived." Spencer nodded, disgust written all over her face.

"I just don't understand why you got with Brodie first of all." Sophia furrowed her eyebrows at her, mouth full of toothpaste and her hand holding the toothbrush.

When she finished, she looked at her friend. "He was a good time, and don't act like he is ugly. Have you seen his friends?" Spencer hummed, agreeing with her.

"Well, let's stop talking about boys before I gag." Sophia nodded at Spencer, she then left the bathroom so she could grab her purse. "I took the freedom to compare our schedules online and we only share a couple of classes, that's a bummer. Good thing I don't take AP English, I hate that sad bald man." Sophia almost chokes from laughing while both went downstairs, where Paul waited at the door.

"Here it goes, junior year." Sophia murmured while exiting the house, Spencer followed and Paul closed the door.

"Let's begin our best year!" Spencer gagged, they both started laughing and Paul looked at them while he rose one eyebrow.

"Should I take a photo of you two starting your junior year?"

"Shut up, Paul."