Chapter 33

We're headed Downtown.

I recognize it right away. He's taking me Downtown.

Why, though? We just came from dinner. Upscale tent, kinda uptown. Food was phenomenal.

I swear to God, if he takes me to some high-end, super exclusive club and gets us a VIP booth and bottle service, I will throat punch him. Even people that've never been on dates know that that's not appropriate or applicable for a first date, or date in general... whatsoever.

Luckily, Kayden isn't one of those weirdos that decided to blindfold me, so I can examine my environs and try to keep my facial expressions as neutral as I possibly can.

''So where did you say you were taking me?''

He side-eyes me, tapping his fingers over his steering wheels to the beat of the song that's blaring through his stereo. ''I don't remember saying anything,''

I quirk a brow. ''Are you going to?''

His lips curve up in something that resembles a smile. ''No.''

Bastard.

''You're going into town.'' I remark, nodding towards the Disney Concert Hall we just drove past, like it isn't already obvious.

''Great observational skills, lieutenant.'' He heaves back.

''Don't fuck with me right now, Kayden.''

He feigns a shocked gasp. ''Keep it in your sexy dress, will you? I'm a gentleman, Isabella. I don't fuck on first dates.''

He's reminded me exactly how much he likes this dress every chance he's gotten tonight. I had no idea there were so many ways to tell someone you think she looks good. But as always, Kayden's got a way with the words.

I roll my eyes at his antics. ''Been on a lot of dates, have you?''

His expression turns serious before I'd even finished the sentence. ''No,''

''You've never been on a date?'' as in ever? How is that even possible?

He shakes his head, keeping his gaze on the busy road. ''No, I have never been out on a date before. Sure, I've hung out with women but never really planned anything to like... spend any time with them. It was just clubs and stupid shit like that. I didn't feel the need nor the desire to even devote myself to the whole dating life.''

I can understand that, being someone that's never felt the desire to date herself. I've always thought of it as a waste of time because if school wasn't keeping me busy enough, taking care of my brother and trying to maintain even an ounce of a social life was like a fulltime job. I didn't- actually don't have time for dating.

''So what changed your mind?''

''You.'' he states confidently, stealing the breath from my lungs. Is he saying what I think he is?

''Did Kayden Dominguez just admit to wanting the commitment?'' I ask the first question swirling though my mind, baffled.

''If it's with you, yeah.'' He shrugs, stammering over his next words as if he's not so sure if he should say it out loud. ''I already told you there's no other options for me. I'm not trying to freak you out here but I've never felt this way about anyone before.''

Okay. Woah.

''I, uh...'' don't say it, don't say it, don't say it. ''Me neither.''

Fuck. I said it.

His eyes snap to mine with one of the biggest shit-eating grins I've ever seen on him. Fucking adorable. ''You crushin' on me, Khalil?''

My brows furrow. ''You crushing on me, Dominguez?''